If My Sister Had a Blog

It would read:

My sister called today while I was at work. "Jules?" She said. I thought something must be wrong. "What's the matter, is everything all right?" "How much stuff should come out from inside a turkey?" she asked me. "What? Why are you cooking a turkey? You hate dealing with the bird!" I went on to explain to Amy, "there is usually the neck in the main cavity, but inside the neck, if you move the flap of skin, there is usually a sack of the liver and so forth, that needs to come out, too." "This is the most disgusting thing ever." Amy said. "I think I'm becoming a vegetarian."

Today Amy called me again. She's boiling the carcass of the bird to make turkey soup. Now I know someone has abducted my sister and replaced her with an imposter. My sister would never intentionally deal with turkey bones!



- Amy's Aside: It's all true. I was put in charge of picking meat off the bones when I was pregnant with LM. I lasted about ten minutes before I ran off to an upstairs bathroom to privately wretch. I only dealt with the whole 24 pound bird because it was free and then a co-worker suggested I make turkey soup after I got off all the good meat. After picking out bones and vertabre and such from the broth, I don't know that I'll ever eat a bite of the soup, but I'll make it nontheless. Today I am grateful that I didn't grow up during my grandmother's generation where I would have killed and plucked chickens to sell them for twelve cents apiece.

By the way, bringing you this blog on the eve of Thanksgiving Eve is just my way of helping you stick to your diet over the holidays. Nothing sounds appealing right now, does it? Nope, I didn't think so.

(As a note: I'm also grateful my sister doesn't actually have a blog. I can only imagine how much she would talk about me and my crazy life.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've never been a big fan of meat, but I think you just officially killed it for me. ;)
jenny said…
I've got no beef with turkey

ahahaha!

I'll be picking the carcass tomorrow so I can make a pot pie and some soup.

sure it's gross, but i cringe at throwing it all away.

P.S. - checking your nanowrimo totals over there...very impressive.
Amy said…
Mmm...pot pie. Now, see, that might just lure me back into the land of meat. I love a good pot pie!! Let me know if you have a recipe you're willing to share!

I was writing more of my Charlie story when you posted your comment. I'm feeling the looming deadline upon me. Only 9 more days and I have 15,000 words to go!!! YIKES!

Popular Posts