The Legacy

In a small notebook we found in her dresser, my mom had recorded (amongst other things) the cost of delivery when my brother was born; the hierarchy of cards in a pinochle game (albeit in the wrong order); and, her three goals in life: to be a good wife, a good mother and a good Christian.

She never went to college and only worked for a short while as a dental assistant before becoming a full-time mother of three and the wife of a high school administrator. She never aspired to political office, never amassed large sums of wealth or fame. Her dreams were simple. And she was a success in all three.

Diagnosed with a brain tumor at 34, my mom seized every opportunity to share love, share her joy for life, and share the gift of a loving God. She never met a stranger she couldn’t befriend and share the message of Christ with. No one in my mother’s life was insignificant. She couldn’t change the world, couldn’t change the course of the disease, but she could choose how to live within it, and to live full of life and love no matter what the circumstance.

It is easy, when drowning in the waves of the menial and mundane to wonder our place in this world. Head on a pillow it is difficult not to dream of higher aspirations than to successfully potty train a toddler or to help a child navigate around the school bully. We curse the constraints that we think hold us back, finances, education, exposure. It has become the American Way to be wrapped up in work, achievement and recognition. Success is defined by property, wealth, a legacy of prosperity to hand to the next generation. We do not allow ourselves to believe that to simply love each other, to raise beautiful children inside and out, to spend time cultivating relationships and truly listening to each other is enough. We think there must be more to life than piles of laundry or a sink full of dishes. We think it is up to the famous, the wealthy, the leaders of the world to make great changes. We do not realize the power is within us. Touch one life, touch the hearts of many. To love each other is no small thing. We are all significant.

A stay at home mother of three from a small Midwestern town, my mother was embraced by God on August 10, 1993. She was 46 years young.

Her funeral was standing room only.

Comments

Peter N said…
Amy, so moving, I was brought to tears. Your mom would have loved to have read this. Look up and read it, yes, now, outloud, to her. She would be proud of you. As I.
Peter N said…
And she'll hear you. I know.
Unknown said…
what a beautiful and moving tribute to your mother. a very fitting way to honor her memory.
Anonymous said…
after sobbing i went and hugged my children.

what a beautiful woman you mother is and how blessed you are to be able to call her your mother.
Anonymous said…
strange enough, my wonderful and beloved grandfather died 9 years ago today...
Newlywife said…
What a beautiful heart song to your mom. She must be so proud now, listening to it.
Anonymous said…
I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon your blog today, when such a beautiful tribute was posted to your mother. Thanks for sharing.
Smiles said…
A loving tribute to your mother. She would have loved to read your words today. I am so sorry she passed away at such a young age. She sounds like she touched many people's lives.
shayze said…
Absolutely beautiful! Reading it gave me chills.
Anonymous said…
Yes, your mom achieved her goals in her own, quiet manner without needing societal recognition. In her mind, she was a faithful servant to her God and family. Today I am sure she walks daily with God and smiles at results of her daily life while on earth.

I am also sure that she cherishes the fact that her 3 children and husband learned so much from her example.

-- a beautifully written tribute to a beautiful person.

Eliza Jane's dad and non-blogger
SlushTurtle said…
That was as wonderful tribute, and a great comment from your Dad too... sniff sniff...
Poka Bean said…
after reading that, i admire your mother without ever having met her. that's exactly the kind of woman i hope to be. how wonderful that you had that great example. thanks for sharing it with us.
Shari said…
Seems that the apple didn't fall far from that tree...
BabelBabe said…
You have answered beautifully some very tough questions a friend of mine has wrestled with lately, as have I. Thank you for a lovely post about a lovely owwoman; you gave me goosebumps.

Your mom sounds like she was a gem, and your love and respect for her shine through your words.
Wendy said…
Amy, this is a wonderful post - and I'm so glad I just read this.
Amy said…
And to think I very nearly turned comments off for this post.

Thank you all so much for your heartfelt responses. I know it was written more for me to celebrate my mom, but I'm so glad that perhaps her legacy still lives on and teaches us.

I will also admit I cried when I saw my dad had posted a comment. That was beyond my wildest expectations.

Popular Posts