Dear Downstairs Neighbor (Part II):

Despite having been a single mother for nearly 6 years now, I am always on the lookout for new and innovative ways to cut expenses, simplify my life and use the resources I have. This morning I was thanking God that he put us in such close proximity so that I might glean ideas from you, the model of single parenting.

I was raised in a family that believed in alarm clocks and until this morning, I had never questioned their usefulness or necessity. I am ashamed now, to admit that I have been raising my son as a believer of alarm clocks, too. I did not know there was an alternative and it is with much shame that I admit it had never occurred to me that it was an unnecessary appliance.

When you first yelled for Kyle at 6:45 this morning I thought at first that it was just to get his attention. I know that sometimes children go through phases where they are temporarily hard of hearing and I thought that perhaps Kyle, at 14 was going through such a phase. It wasn’t until you yelled for him again, and again, saying “Kyle, GET UP!” that I was struck. Get up? Did I hear you correctly? No, I must have misunderstood. His alarm clock will tell him to get up, I must not have realized what you said, despite the volume coming through my floor.

At the fifth or perhaps sixth time the lightning bolt hit me. You were waking him up with your yelling!! It was as if I were seeing the light of day for the very first time! How could I have been so ignorant all this time? Here I was, buying $10 alarm clocks that have lasted us for well over 10 years, plugging them into the wall and sucking up valuable earth resources just to wake up my son each morning. It wasn’t until this morning, when I listened to you again and again yell, “KYLE!! GET UP!! NOW!!” that I realized I’ve been living a shameful existence. I have been wasting my own precious resources. God gave me a voice and he gave me lungs to create volume. I should have been using those all this time instead of the alarm clock.

Again, DN, you have taught me so much. I am reconsidering so many aspects of our daily life when I might use my voice instead of a more “mainstream” method. I could call LM to dinner with my vocal chords. We may only live in 1300 sq. ft. of space, but that doesn’t mean that an announcement before meals wouldn’t make it feel like more of an occasion! I think I might yell “I’m home!” upon my return from work, too. That would surely get LM’s attention and create a special moment each day at 5:30! Thank you so much for waking me this morning with this precious lesson. I cannot believe that I have been so ignorant and wasteful for all this time. Thank you for your creative approaches to guiding me in the ways of becoming a better single mom. You are a blessing to behold.

Best regards,

Eliza Jane

Comments

Peter N said…
Can I do anything? Maybe yell loudly from central Connecticut just on the off chance that DN might hear? Let me know, blue eyes.
Anonymous said…
My prediction: Kyle = in jail by age 15
Anonymous said…
cannot stop laughing. Maybe I should write a letter to my neighbor who thinks vacuuming at 9:30pm is acceptable. Thankfully, she lives below me.
Jennifer said…
This was way too funny :) And, sounds like you won't need your alarm clock now either...you can save even more electricity if you just unplug yours and wait for Kyle's mom to wake him up! Then, you in turn, could wake up LM :) Wow! What a blessing indeed!!!

Popular Posts