In the Gypsy Classifieds

As part of LM's punishment this last week, he had to do a number of writting assignments for me (because writing of any kind to LM is punishment.) Since he had lied, forgotten, been lazy and sloppy with his schoolwork and shown disrespect to two teachers, he had to write several different repetitive sentences in his best cursive writing to instill in him the importance of remembering his trumpet and demonstrating respect. These assignments were in addition to his added chores and revoked privileges in an effort to create a compounded consequence that might drive the message(s) home.

I believe wholeheartedly, however, that it is important each and every time LM finds himself in trouble to reiterate that HE is not a bad kid, he just made bad CHOICES. I never want him to feel like he is stupid, or incompetent or bad. I want to make sure he still feels loved, valued, appreciated and smart. To that end, in addition to the boring, monotonous, repetitive and dreaded writing assignments that I gave him to complete, I also asked him to write an ad to the gypsies to sell himself. I reminded him that it needed to include his good qualities because I wanted to get the most money that I could for him. This is his ad:

Attention All Gypsies! Sale in Condo XYZ for a Kid With all 10 Good Qualities listed below!
(No caravan included. Bed sold separately.
Toys sold w/kid at higher price by $100)
Read fine print to determine if you need a pair of glasses!

• Plays the trumpet well
• Reads lots of books and understand big words
• Is off the PSSA scoring charts
• Has good technical knowledge of computers
• Can keep a secret
• Can help carry groceries up stairs
• Is funny
• Likes board games
• Is good poker player
• Is a good friend

First offer MUST be beyond $1500!
Ignore me! This is the fine print. If you can read me, pay no attention to what this is saying after the # 2. 2. If you cannot read this, don’t worry. You don’t have bad eye-sight; you just need a magnifying glass.

Will haggle Over Price for a MAXINUM time of 24 hours.


Ya gotta love the kid, don't ya?

Comments

Anonymous said…
OMG, too funny! I especially liked the fine print...
Katrina said…
How adorable is THAT?

Tell LM I think it's smart to institute a reserve price. A priceless kid like that shouldn't be undervalued. (I might suggest adding a zero or two to the end, though.)
Peter N said…
Great and sooo funny. Have a great weekend.
Lisa said…
Ha! I especially love "Can keep a secret." That, my friends, is quite a quality. :)
Anonymous said…
SO funny -- and one of my favorite punishments ever -- a real keeper for the old memory box :)
Anonymous said…
What an EXCELLENT idea to have him write an ad to sell himself. I agree it is important that a child under that it's not that they are a bad kid, just that they made bad choices.

Kudos!
Anonymous said…
Good Parenting! He's a lucky kid.

Popular Posts