In His Time

I didn't move to Michigan ever thinking for a moment that I would teach again. Never crossed my mind. I only started subbing because temping was so slow and there were bills to be paid. But one foot back in the classroom and I knew this is where I was meant to be. I had known it all those years ago, too, but somewhere in the being a mom and being out east, it got lost and I forgot.

But then I fell in love with teaching again, but I worried. I worried that Michigan would take one look at my expired Illinois license and proclaim me remarkably delinquent and would require years or at least semesters of coursework to be re-certified. But then I had a glimmer that maybe, just maybe they wouldn't. Maybe, just maybe it was going to work out okay.

And then I had to mail in 3 days worth of subbing money by check to the state along with official transcripts and a letter from the YMCA stating I had in fact taken First Aid and CPR. (If I ever wonder why on earth I was employed by the Y for two months, I understand it now. I needed those two classes.) And then the state told me to wait.

And so I've waited. I promised Jacob I'd take him out to dinner if and when the state ever acknowledged my Illinois certificate and said I could teach in Michigan.

And I waited some more. For eight weeks.

And every day I've waited for the mail, just hoping, just hoping.

Tonight we came home and I carried in the mail without having a chance to look at it. And I started dinner and while it was cooking I stopped and flipped through the envelopes. And there it was, the big one from the Department of Education. I stood for a moment thinking it was awfully big and awfully heavy. It will probably say I need the following four classes and here's where I can them and here's the thousands it will cost me in tuition dollars.

But it didn't.

It said I can teach.

Right now today, I can teach.

And within the year I need to take two teaching tests, similar to ones I took all those years ago in Illinois. And if I want to, I could take one more test and that would certify me to teach Middle School Language Arts if ever I so dreamed.

But I could teach. Right now today.

And if that wasn't awesome enough, we snarfed dinner, jumped in the car, grabbed an ice cream cake and showed up on my sister's doorstep to celebrate. Good news is certainly multiplied when shared!

Let the job hunt officially begin!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a day you've had!!! I'm so glad that we were close enough to celebrate with you. . even if we thought you were a stranger coming to rob us at first! LOL
Sarah Louise said…
I am sitting here at my computer clapping my hands!! Oh, darlin, this is grand news--who knew that stint at the Y was for the CPR classes?

Oh, this is wonderful, just wonderful.

I'd gush some more, but I think you'd think I'm crazier than you already think I am...
Sarah said…
Congratulations!!!! That's so exciting!

And back on the subject of SATs, don't worry about them too much. LM should just do the best he can. I took them every effin year between 8th and 12th grade, but it made a huge difference in my top score, and that's what colleges like to see. So not only will it help him get into the ATYP, but it'll help with college, too. I wish him luck!
Newlywife said…
Well if that doesn't beat all! God's plan at it's finest...I knew the Y had to have a reason behind it!
Katy said…
Yippee! That is awesome! I'm super happy for you!
Katrina said…
Woooot!!! That is so awesomely wonderful! Thanks be to God for answering those prayers (both yours and those of the parents whose precious children you'll be teaching.) Thank you for sharing your good news!
Mig said…
THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!
Congratulations. :-)
~**Dawn**~ said…
That's wonderful! Don't you love those reminders that God really does have a plan in mind for us & that He will provide? =)
Jennifer said…
I'll just agree with all of the comments listed above....God is soooo Good!!!
Katrina said…
Amy, you've been chosen as the recipient of an elite blogging award. Don't worry, Ed McMahon has nothing to do with this one. :) Check out my blog for details!
Jen said…
I've always said that some people are just meant to be teachers. I guess that's in the plans for you, too! Congratulations and good luck with all your students.
Lisa said…
That's really awesome! I'm so glad for you.
Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh! YAY!

Popular Posts