The Solution

I spoke with animal behaviorists from the University of Pennsylvania. I spoke with a clinician at a vet clinic nearby. I spoke with a trainer I had worked with previously. I spoke with several dog owners and friends. I spoke with my dad and my sister and my brother.

I cried.

I got up Saturday morning and emailed the breeder and asked for her help. I told her I was concerned that this family would put Gabe down if they couldn’t find an immediate solution and as much as I wanted to be that immediate solution I wasn’t in a good position to be helpful. I would take him if we had no other option, but I needed to be the last resort. By Saturday evening she emailed me back and said she would gladly take him back and would retrain and re-home him. I passed along the contact information for this family and then sent an email to the family so they could contact her directly.

I cried.

I promised to keep in touch with the breeder in case our situation would change and Gabe were still available.

I know it was the right thing to do, but I can’t help but feel nothing but heartache for my dog. I feel like the worst kind of dog owner ever for not being able to provide him with what he needs. And for leaving him in a place where he is so clearly unhappy.

Comments

Katrina said…
Yes, this was the best possible solution, Amy. You have been wonderful and conscientious, and now Gabe will benefit from your loving care. Take heart!

Popular Posts