Gabe

I didn’t realize that a quarter of my plate was apparently NOT filled, as God just handed me my latest challenge.

The family that took in Gabe just contacted me. He has been doing well, for the most part but has taken to nipping and biting dog owners who try to pet him. The family is going to be getting rid of Gabe (I had requested they contact me first), and may have to put him down if they can’t find him a home.

I NEVER not one time had a problem with Gabe nipping or biting anyone. We spent a couple days a week at the dog park where he was surrounded by other dogs and other dog owners (who would pet him all the time). Never did I suspect he would have responded in this manner.

Our environment has not changed since we gave him away, in that we still don’t have our own yard and would still be faced with leash issues, but I have to wonder if he is reacting this way because he became an outside dog, because he isn’t getting the attention he once had, because he’s unhappy with the change in his environment, or what. I have a call in to the dog trainer we had used to find out her thoughts on his behavior and I have a friend tracking down the number of a trainer she has worked with for further insight. I don’t want to take back a dog that is going to have a barrel of new problems, but I don’t want Gabe put down, either.

Any advice? Anything? HELP?!

Comments

Jennifer said…
Oh, I'm so sorry you're being faced with this dilemma! How awful :( I hope you find a resolution, or maybe a new owner that could make him an inside dog again; someone that could train him to be the loving pet you once had!!
Anonymous said…
Have you tried the rescue leagues? They really do make a tremendous effort to help.

I wish I could take him.
Jules said…
Oh, Amy I wish I could tell you something helpful. The rescue leagues idea seems good, though. I know how hard it must be to have to make a choice like that. I'll be praying for you.
Amy said…
When I was originally looking for a home for Gabe I contacted SEVERAL rescue leagues. Those for mastiffs will only take English Mastiffs, and many regular rescue organizations are ill equipped to take in a 200 pound dog. One with a biting history isn't going to be taken lightly, either. If we can't take him, I'll be working with the breeder again to help the family find a suitable placement. Ultimately, it's not in my control where he goes unless I take him back first.

It is heartbreaking to love a dog so much and not know how to help. I'm waiting to hear from a canine behavioralist this evening, perhaps that will help to shed some light and provide us with some options.
Katrina said…
I'm so sorry, Amy. No advice here, but I'll say a prayer.

Popular Posts