For That Which I Am Most Grateful

A year ago, at this time, I was waiting impatiently to hear back on a job interview that eventually placed me at my current job. While this job is dreadfully dull and rarely engaging, it has, over the past year, allowed me to find a much more comfortable financial balance in my life.

A year ago, at this time, I was trying with everything I had in me to shake loose from more than one relationship that was too confusing to be labeled and too one-sided to be healthy. In the past year, I have not missed those relationships once. I feel lighter, healthier and certainly, without a doubt, happier.

A year ago, at this time, I was sifting through letters my mom had written when I was young. I spent many evenings surrounded by envelopes and pages of her handwriting with tears streaming down my face as I poured over the greatest gift I will ever receive. During this past year, the scrapbook I made for G has been read by everyone in the family and we have all come to realize what an incredible gift my grandmother gave to us by saving every single letter my mother ever wrote to her.

A year ago, I was still trying to find a solution to Gabe’s leash issues. I was constantly worried about what he would do out on a walk and felt as though neither of us were very happy with our situation. While giving him away was the hardest thing I have done in years (and didn’t go as well as I had hoped) he is now (finally) incredibly happy with a man who is incredibly happy to have him. I know we’ve done the right thing, even though it hurts.

A year ago, despite being home for the holidays, I didn’t attend church services for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I hadn’t found a church where I felt comfortable or where I knew anyone and I didn’t want to face the services alone in unfamiliar territory. This year, I will be celebrating the holidays with new friends and many many acquaintances at the church we have come to call home.

A year ago, we chose to stay home for the holidays and we didn’t see our family until the following summer making it a year that we didn’t see them at all. This year, I have been to Michigan twice, Tennessee once and will see my family during the week-long cruise in a very short while.

During this Thanksgiving week, I hope everyone takes a moment to reflect on all the blessings in their life.

Comments

Jules said…
What a difference a year can make, huh?
Emily said…
Wow - I can't believe it was already a year ago that you put together that scrapbook.

It's been a pleasure to be a part of your life for the past year.
Lisa said…
Hurrah for 365 days of blessings! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Popular Posts