Dear Downstairs Neighbor (DN):

I am so glad we had that little chat at 6am last Saturday morning regarding your television and conversational noise that had been keeping me awake since 2am. I appreciated your lack of respect and utter denial of the situation. I can see that you truly took my concerns to heart when you had that disagreement with your boyfriend the very next evening, you remember the one. It was where you screamed into the phone that he forgot you? And how dare he forget you? I can’t imagine how it would be possible to forget someone as mature and rational as you.

I had not intended to actually sleep last night when I curled up in bed so I was glad you provided me with hours and hours of entertainment. Better yet, if I had missed any of the obscenities and insults that you screamed during the fight last week, this was a fantastic opportunity for me to get caught up and review how you truly feel about your boyfriend. From what I can gather, he’s truly a catch! (And why wouldn’t I have already thought so, what with him making the “wife beater” a new fashion trend in our neighborhood!) I can only hope that someday I can find a man who makes me sob so hysterically, while slamming closet and bedroom doors, threatening to throw his stuff away, all during the wee hours of the morning. Sigh, if only I could be so lucky.

It was after staying up so late listening to your sorrowful drama that I was most grateful for your son’s alarm going off at 6am (just like last week!) I appreciate you leaving it on to beep and beep and beep for the next hour continuously so that despite my lack of sleep, I might be up and ready for work on time – early even! Thanks so much for that special consideration. It is extra meaningful to me coming from someone who apparently never goes to work, to know you were especially considerate of my need to rise early and get out there to earn a living. Truly a selfless gesture.

DN, I can only hope that this last fight does not signify the end of your relationship with Mr. Winner and these melodramatic evenings that I have begun to treasure. It is in these intimate moments, DN, that we truly get to know the private thoughts and desires of the hearts of those (living) closest to us. What a joy it has been to share this drama with you week after week. It’s better than any Desperate Housewives episode, that’s for certain! Please be sure to include me in any future tirades that you might have, whether they are in the bedroom or in the kitchen where I know you’ve perfected the art of slamming cabinet doors! My only disappointment in the matter is that LM has missed out on these most recent episodes and has not had the privilege of such entertainment at 3am as I have.

I wish you and Mr. Winner a quick and speedy reconciliation. I certainly hope that the reunion occurs right below my bedroom so I can witness the joys as well as sorrows of this sweet relationship.

Thanks again, for your continued, thoughtful consideration.


Best regards,

Eliza Jane

Comments

Peter N said…
No......print that out and leave it under the poor unfortunate person's door. Or I will! Nice stuff. Have a great weekend...a pair of noise cancelling headphones might be in the offing, but not only will you NOT hear them, you won't hear much else. And I hate that isolation.....see you. Peter
Jules said…
OMG, peter n is so right. You really should print it out and put it on her door. Maybe if she realizes that you can hear every word she'll become embarrassed about the things she's said. In your letter you should included more exact quotes. Oh, that would be so perfect!
Amy said…
She knows I can hear every word, I've told her. She doesn't care. I called the Management Company this morning and she is going to send out a letter referencing items listed in the "Rules and Regs". My DN is a renter, so the letter will also be copied to the property owner. I also put down on paper what I shared in the phone conversation and sent it to the condo board so it's all on file. My guess is, it's just going to piss her off, but I need evidence that I'm trying so that if something gets really bad I have the papertrail to back me up!

UGH!!!
Peter N said…
Get ready for the 8pm start..I'll have my helocopter ready to whisk you up here. Wear a hat...the downdraft is fierce. Or just call and say hi...easier. I'm just kidding, but it WOULD be nice to say hello. I love reading you....Peter. With the grill, freshly cleaned and ready for warmth around, say, 7 or so. It's easier to grill for two rather than one. Open invitation..email me if you'd like. Go TIGERS. Oh, I have to turn the logs. I'll keep it warm here, A...promise.
Peter N said…
Happy weekend to everyone....
Fish said…
don't get mad, get even. you might find that posting her various types of seafood from different places for a week may not resolve the problem but is at least therapeutic
Katrina said…
Thin walls are a terrible plight. I suggest you nail up an extra layer of drywall and take it off your next month's rent.

In our very first apartment, the walls were so thin that we could clearly hear our neighbor's answering machine messages. We also once thought they had gotten a puppy only to find out later that...well, let's just say it wasn't a puppy and leave it at that.

We learned early on to play our music loud during private conversations and other delicate moments.

Fortunately, we now live in Fort Knox. We can't hear a thing from next door. (Of course, we are getting older...)
Amy said…
I wish I could, Katrina, but I own my condo and we have strict regulations on what I can and cannot do to my building and unfortunately anything in the flooring (other than carpet) is "common property" and I can't touch it. The best I can do is complain and that's what I've been doing. To both the neighbor (nicely) and the board.

Popular Posts