Ode to Wawa

When there’s nothing in your fridge ‘cept for lettuce and an apple, go to Wawa.
When you car is low on gas or your thirstin’ for a Snapple, go to Wawa.
Lookin’ for a hoagie, veggie wrap or just some soup, go to Wawa.
Doesn’t matter if you’re dressed in your pj’s or a suit, go to Wawa.

Cheerful, fresh and tasteful, it’s got 7-Eleven beat, that’s our Wawa.
Forgot your lunch or need a snack, it’s kept both clean and neat, that’s our Wawa.
Cup of joe, pack of smokes, Ben & Jerry’s or a Coke, that’s our Wawa,
They’ve got everything you need, just fill ‘er up and go, that’s our Wawa.

But be careful there, dear Pilgrim, don’t lose focus when you go,
There might be someone in the aisles whose face you used to know.
The one who was a smoker and a friend of a not-quite friend,
The one who let his kids be kings without some discipline.

“I wuv my wittle smoochie pie” he’d say each time you kissed.
And talk about vacationing as if you might get hitched.
You only dated once or twice, you had no real attraction,
His smoking and his baby talk were two really big infractions.

It wasn’t going to work, there was no chemistry to last,
He took it hard and told you off, said you were living in the past.
He blamed it on your ex, said it was time you just moved on,
But it was really all his issues that made you wish him gone.

But as you ordered lunch today (with onions, peppers and tomato)
You saw a face that looked like his, but your brain just didn’t know.
Was it? Is it? Could it be? (You never know who’s lurking).
It’s him with a pack of cigarettes (he never did quite give up smoking).

It’s fight or flight (just like UC), but it’s an easier decision,
You have no desire to see this man or to start a conversation.
You pay for lunch, you scan the room, and look for a quick way out,
Without being seen you’ve reached the door, you’d like to scream and shout.

The next time that you’re hungry, or looking for some grub,
You’ll reconsider your options, and find a place to sub.
For while it is a heaven on earth and full of tasty treats,
Our Wawa isn’t safe anymore, I need a new retreat!

Comments

Sarah Louise said…
I love this! We don't have Wawa on our side of PA--but I totally understand the running into someone unsavory from the past...

If you can do this, I bet you can do a six word memoir...
Jules said…
Oh, this is GREAT! I have no idea what a Wawa is, though. Sorta like Wal-Mart, but better? Gosh, I feel dumb even asking. I think it's absolutely hysterical that you rhymed the whole thing, so cool.
sis said…
lol, this is awesome. so totally true...there's always someone there ya know, be it good or bad ;-)

found my way over here via sarah louise, congrats on your novel words, great job!

~sistahe
I love and miss Wawa! When will they come to Michigan?

p2
jenny said…
nice poem ...smoochie pie :)

have a great weekend!
Anonymous said…
Fabulous! There is no wawa where I live either, but I think most of us can relate...
WaWa?!

I don't think there is a WaWa near me anymore. They all closed and ran away.
ramblin' girl said…
WaWa!!

We had to stop in the WaWa when we were visiting our friend in PA... she was so proud of it. She made me laugh, as always. But they are pretty great.
Newlywife said…
Wonderful post! Sure, THIS post is one that my husband read! Apparently, he reads YOUR BLOG!

Great post!
Emily said…
Quite cleverly written!

Not to overshadow your clearly awkward experience, I have a story to tell.

This past May, Mark and I visited one of his friends in Maryland and we stopped at a Wawa. I thought it was the WORST name for a store EVER. But then I went inside, purchased a bottle of water and some gum -- and as the apathetic clerk rang-up my purchase I could not help but laugh. Why? Because at Wawa, the cash register sounds like it's shooting a laser gun at an asteroid with every item checked. And, as if that's not enough, when you pay the cash register makes an electronic "cha-ching" sound.

The clerk was perplexed by my laughing -- and seemed even less amused when I asked if she liked working inside an arcade game all day.

And, that's when I deduced that people back east have no sense of humor :)
Lisa said…
I'm not sure what Wawa is, but I hear you about awkward experiences in public places. I believe all exes should just neatly vanish or merely exist in a time-suspension mode when the relationship ends. No muss, no fuss! :)
Amy said…
Wawa is a convenience store lacking the creepiness of a 7-11. UC, that's hysterical. I love the sounds the register makes!! P2, I'm bringing one with me when I move to Kzoo (okay, so probably not, but I can dream!)
Katrina said…
It's things like this that make the idea of living in gigantic, anonymous New York city more appealing! LOL...
Jules said…
Maybe I'm missing something? What's creepy about a 7-11?

Popular Posts