My Dream Wedding

I dreamt last night that I was getting married. I was wearing a periwinkle blue dress (my favorite color but not something I imagined being wed in) and I was upset because I thought one of my bridesmaids (I have no idea who she was) looked beautiful with her hair all up in a French twist and my hair was down and “plain” but it was down because I knew my groom preferred it that way and so that’s how I would be wed.

I next remember speaking at my own reception and explaining why three wedding cakes were being brought into the room. There was the traditional wedding cake (although I don’t remember it having layers or being towered) and then there was a second for some reason (of which I cannot recall – perhaps a preference by the groom) and then the third cake was explained as tears streamed down my face. “The last cake (which was small and round, chocolate of some sort with a powdered sugar-looking icing) was the cake I was eating at the pastry shop in Iowa when I met Charlie.” I was overwhelmed in my dream at that moment of recollection, of remembering how I had met my groom and how I wanted everyone to share in that moment with us on our wedding day.

Later it seemed as though I was sitting in a room with just a few other people, but I was intently watching something on the television, a family tape of some sentimental sort, which I was very intent on seeing through even though I had a feeling that it was not the right time for me to be off on my own like this, and not the sort of thing that would be right for a crowd. George, my nephew, came in and asked if he could watch cartoons and I immediately realized where I was and that I needed to get back to the reception and said a little too assuredly, “Of course you can!” and quickly flipped the channel, much to the appreciation of some other woman in the room who had tired of watching my home movies with me.

I think, in my dream, that I actually saw my groom, Charlie, once. He was wearing his tux, all but the jacket (black pants, white shirt and black suspenders?!). He was average height, with broad, solid shoulders, a stocky man with dark brown hair, dark eyes and a dark beard or goatee (I didn’t get a good look!) He was beautiful and I had a feeling he was funny.


It’s been a long time since I thought seriously about getting married, a long time since I even seriously thought about dating again. I don’t really believe in premonitions, but perhaps it’s just something I’m supposed to give more thought to. Now, to work Iowa into my travel plans…

Comments

Newlywife said…
That is strange indeed, but I think it might mean something...although I am not normall the type to buy into dream interpretation and all that.

If I could speak to your "dream you" for a second though... DO NOT WEAR YOUR HAIR DOWN FOR THE WEDDING BECAUSE YOUR GROOM PREFERS IT...THIS WOULD BE A MISTAKE IN RETROSPECT BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH IT. AND IT WILL LOOK MESSY IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE TROLLEY RIDE TO THE RECEPTION.

I mean, I ummm...hypothetically of course.
shayze said…
I'm only a few hours from Iowa!

Even if the dream was not premonition, maybe it has at least inspired hope!
jenny said…
Iowa, eh? Hmmm...

and I agree with Newlywife, although I may have missed the trolley thing, if you want your hair in a french braid then so be it...the groom will have many plain hair days ahead to appreciate your locks.

Now go meet yerself a hawkeye.
Amy said…
ya know, I might not have thought this at all an odd dream when I actually LIVED on the Illinois/Iowa border (LM was born in Iowa). Now that I'm in PA...me thinks Iowa is a bit far to go for a pastry - even if it comes with a side dish of Charlie!
Bearca said…
This almost gave me a chill because it was so detailed! Please, do keep us updated on any visits to pastry shops in Iowa. :)
Katrina said…
I think you should start hanging out in pastry shops right away, just in case. Then, even if Charlie never shows up, there's always the eclairs.

Popular Posts