Enough

It wasn't enough that I woke at 2am to the sound of my downstair neighbor's television and her laughing. I stayed in bed for a half hour trying to get back to sleep but to no avail. I finally decided to just move myself to the couch for the night.

It wasn't enough that I woke again at 4am to the sound of cabinets banging, doors slamming and the conversation below moved to her kitchen. I laid on the couch for awhile waiting for them to subside or relocate but to no avail. I moved back to my bedroom.

It wasn't enough that I couldn't fall asleep in my bed for the noise below. Just two people downstairs, with a television on and a lively conversation, but with no consideration for those of us sleeping above. I moved back to the couch.

It wasn't enough that I woke at 6am to more noise below me in the living room. I laid on the couch, frustrated beyond belief and tried to just shut out the noise and sleep. I finally stomped twice on the living room floor trying to make a point and she finally moved her conversation back to the bedroom where her television was still on. I decided to just stay on the couch since it seemed quieter there.

It wasn't enough that I was still awake when her son's alarm clock started beeping beneath me at five after 6.

It wasn't enough that I finally decided to go down and knock on her door. She finally came out, looking at me as if she was shocked to see me. I explained that I had been up since 2 and had moved to the living room, only to be awaken there. I explained that just like the time she commented that she could hear my dog snoring at night, I could ever EVERY WORD they were saying, every sound from the television and now, I could hear her son's alarm clock. She shook her head and said her television hasn't been on, her cable is out. And she just stared at me as if I were crazy. I asked her politely if she would PLEASE keep it down.

She shut her door.

When I returned upstairs, she had turned the television off and the alarm clock off but she and her boyfriend had found my remarks to be hysterical and they had a lively conversation for awhile. With the sun starting to shine through the windows, I tried to sleep on the couch.

I finally got up at 9 and went for a walk, thinking I would just return home and take a nap when surely she must be sleeping as well. When I returned home from my walk another neighbor was having their carpets cleaned which means there's a van with some sort of vacuum system waking up and keeping up the whole neighborhood.

I have had enough.

Comments

shayze said…
Sorry to hear that! It's always frustrating when you can't get sleep. I thought my apartment building was bad, but it sounds like your place is 10x less soundproof than mine! Yikes!
Peter N said…
I know that feeling, but thankfully not since I moved into a two level (both me) condo with no downstairs neighbor(s). And the folks to either side of me are quiet, and even if they weren't, the walls are thick and soundproofed. So when I fire up the surround sound speakers while watching a movie or a show, I can put it at the level I like, and no complaints! Lucky I guess. I feel for you. In those quiet hours before dawn, the ones that can be the most frustrating known to Man. Or woman.

Popular Posts