For Whom The Bell Tolls

Somewhere around 9 years ago, I set foot in a Homemakers Group at a church in Illinois. I had been invited by my friend, Stacy, and I was eager to get out of the house and converse with grown-ups (especially other moms). The women met on Tuesday mornings with the intention of having a speaker and then time for individual prayer groups, Bible study and a time for fellowship with each other. Other than Stacy, I knew no one and I was nervous about my rusty Bible recollection, my preferences to quiet, personal prayer, and how inadequate I felt as a mother. I thought for certain I wouldn’t be “Christian enough” for this sort of a group.

At the start of the first meeting, a woman stood up at the podium and gave a short talk, a precursor to the sort of talks we would have each week by various women and guest speakers. Karen was funny, down to earth and fallible!! She put me at ease immediately as she talked about her own everyday mistakes and I knew that I was going to like her. When we split into smaller prayer groups, I forced myself to leave Stacy’s side and go out on my own to meet new people. I followed Karen to the area she chose and it was the start of a wonderful friendship.

Karen taught me how to laugh at my own mistakes and not take life too seriously. She was raising and home schooling three children and never stood on pretenses. Want to come over for lunch? Come on over? We’re having Velveeta mac n’ cheese!! She taught me that friendship could be simple and easy and I didn’t have to try to impress her all the time or stand on formalities.

At some point during those first couple weeks of the Homemaker’s Group, Karen learned that I had once played the piano. She took my hand and drug me to the pastor’s office where she quickly introduced me saying, “She reads music!” I had no idea what I was getting into but quickly found myself signed up for the Women’s Handbell Choir. Hand what? Bells? I didn’t say I played the bells!!

If I thought the Homemaker’s Group that Stacy had introduced me to was a lifesaver, the women in the handbell choir were all that and more. It was a casual group of about 10-15 women some of whom read music, some who didn’t. Some had played the bells, some hadn’t. The requirements for the group were simple: love the bells and love God. We practiced the bells for an hour or so and then had a short Bible study lesson each week. It was a time of my life when my spiritual life grew exponentially.

The first time the handbell choir performed during the service I was beside myself with joy. I LOVED the bells. I loved making music as a team. I loved how they rang and how clear and gorgeous the notes sounded in the sanctuary.

It wasn’t long after finding all these incredible God-given friends that we chose to move to Pennsylvania. It’s been years since I’ve felt like I had a church “home” and only recently have I been regularly attending a church where I am happy with all the aspects – from Sunday School to the sermons to youth group on Wednesday nights, I think we’ve found where God wants us to be.

Last Sunday there was a note in the bulletin that there was an opening in the handbell choir. I had not heard those words since moving east and after the service I quickly sought out the music pastor and put my name in. He emailed last night to say they had filled all the regular spots but needed someone to fill in as a sub as one of the players was going to be out for awhile with back surgery. If I was interested….

Tonight at 6pm, I will pull on gloves and I will hold the bells in my hand and I will listen to their clear harmonious tones ringing out into the room.

And I will think of Karen.


Blogger won't let me post pictures, so if you don't know what a handbell choir is, click here for a picture.

Comments

Jules said…
Oh, I miss having a church home. I moved here about a year ago and I've been through no less than 20 different ones looking for the one God wants me to be in. I used to play bells, too. What fun!
Anonymous said…
Good for you! I play the handbells too -- since high school and last year got back into it.
Anonymous said…
Obvious pun out of the way first: "Why, you do ring a bell!"

Awesome how God works, connects us to people, gives us a way to glorify Him. You won't be able to replace Karen, but maybe there will be other people who will become great friends.

- Texas T-bone

Popular Posts