A Bear With Very Little Brain

I just realized (while trying to figure out how $20 is going to get me an oil change, tire rotation and a birthday gift) that I was so obsessed with making sure I gave LM his allowance from the change the waitress brought me last night at dinner that I NEVER LEFT A TIP.

Whatever have I done with my brain? I swear I was born with one.

I will have to stop by the restaurant on my way home, hanging my head in shame and give the woman her due. I'm so ashamed.

Update:

I went back last night (while running five other errands) and stopped in. I asked the hostess if she knew who was serving in that section last night, she didn't. She asked me to describe the woman, which I did (sorta, I guess I'm bad at that sort of thing. Pray I'm never the key eye witness to a crime!) She finally decided to go get the manager, finally asking me what it was in regards to, so I told her my lame story and she said, "ooooh, that's so sweet!!" Um, yeah, okay, let's go with "sweet" rather than "early alzheimer's". While she was off to find the manager, another hostess asks me if this waitress walking towards me was her, and I said, no, but she was the bartender and so this hostess knows who the other woman must have been. This waitress continues to walk towards me so the hostess explains to her that I was looking for the other woman that was in the bar section last night (not that we normally sit in the bar but it was the first available table). I explain the situation and this waitress says, "well, we live together so I can give it to her, but we split our tips at the end of the night so it doesn't really matter anyway." I said, "I didn't want her to think she was a bad waitress, she did an excellent job. Could you see that she gets this tip?" She shrugged like maybe yes, and maybe no but took my $7 anyway. Hopefully the nice waitress will get the money and at least know she didn't do something wrong.

Comments

Robyn said…
Don't be so hard on yourself. It wasn't intentional! And as soon as you take her the tip, she will destroy that voodoo doll.
shayze said…
I have done that before and it does make you feel so guilty! I never had the chance to make it back soon enough to give it to her, so I just doubled it next time I had her as a server!
Jennifer said…
Well, it's either go back and hand her the tip directly, or pray to God that you don't have her as a server the next time you go eat there! I'm always afraid of 'the server's revenge' - you know, the whole spit in your food thing! Just thinking about it makes me want to gag!!! But, blame it on baby brains and move on :) Even years later, the brain cells that you lost during pregnancy will never return!
Amy said…
Even if I rarely ate at that restaurant, I never would have wanted that waitress to think she had done a poor job of serving our meal. I've worked in a restaurant before and it really bites when you get a bad tip for no explicable reason.
Katrina said…
That's wonderful that you went back and tried to rectify the situation. I'm also an ex-server, and having someone go out of their way like that would have been jaw-dropping to me.

(And don't worry, Jennifer. I've witnessed my share of both good and bad tippers, and I've never seen anyone spit in or otherwise ruin someone's food. I'm sure it happens, but hopefully it's rare. :) )
Anonymous said…
it was nice that you were thoughtful enough to go back to the restaurant. even if she didn't get the tip, you are blessed in trying.

Popular Posts