The Festivities

Tonight was the kick-off party for the church youth group. They had a tailgating theme, where everyone wore team t-shirts and jerseys and they had a junk yard car to smash, a moon bounce, paint ball, games and food. I watched LM use the sledge hammer to smash the car and listened to his giggles as he played in the moon bounce. We both tried cotton candy for the first time (neither of us were all that impressed). And we both got in the tethered hot air balloon and rose 80 feet above the church and had a look around town. It was the same hot air balloon that sometimes flies over our house. The same one that Gabe used to freak out over. The same one that Gabe...

I miss my dog. I sat outside the moon bounce watching a couple walk around with their little pug and all I could think was "my dog could eat your dog for lunch..."

As I sat on the lawn, swatting away mosquitos, watching the hot air balloon glow rainbow color in the twilight, I was so thankful for finding this church. So grateful for an evening filled with wonder and the laughter of children. So thrilled to hear LM say over and over, "I'm having a GREAT time, Mom!" and yet I missed my dog. I know that time will help heal this wound, but for now, I'm homesick for my pooch. I wish those brown eyes were right here next to me tonight.

Comments

shayze said…
So sorry to hear that Amy! Wouldn't it be great if you knew there was a prescribed amount of time before you felt better? :)
SlushTurtle said…
How could you never have had cotton candy? And you weren't entranced??? I love how it just disolves into nothingness in your mouth. Mmmmm... I'm hungry.

Hopefully your dog-sickness will get better with time!
Newlywife said…
I never had a dog growing up. When my brother and I both moved far from home after college, I bought my mom this teacup Yorkie that she carries around in her purse. I thought my dad would be mad because he was the reason we never had a dog...he never liked dogs.

Within 6 months they had gotten another teacup Yorkie ostensibly to keep the first one company...but really, it's for my dad to have a little friend too.

Seeing how much my parents love these dogs makes me realize what a part of the family a dog is...how important dogs can be for people.

Also, I am slightly jealous of the dogs. Is it wrong that I fume on the inside when my parents refer to me and my brother as the dog's brother and sister?

In a long winded way, I am trying to tell you that I feel for you. You have so much love to give. It's obvious from your stories. You are a great mom, to both your son and your dog. Only a someone with an amazing capacity for love like that would break her own heart for the good of the dog.

I am amazed by you and your heart.
Peter N said…
I agree so much. I love my little guy, a kittie, a kitty who is 18 plus years. It seems like yesterday that I saw him, with his brother, all of 7 inches long. And that was in 1988. I thank God, or whoever I should thank, every day that I get to spend with him. Wow...that came from my heart. A little teared up...but thanks Amy. You got me to spill my guts. And thatt's OK.
Katrina said…
So glad you found a great church family, and I hope the ache of missing your furry friend will ease soon.

Cotton candy is one of those things that is better in my childhood memory than in my adult reality. Like Hanna-Barbera cartoons and Pop Rocks.
Jennifer said…
I cannot believe you didn't LOVE the cotton candy. I'm still in shock over that statement!!! My favorite 'fair food'? Cotton Candy and Funnel Cakes w/ powdered sugar. Just thinking about them makes my stomach growl, then churn because I always eat the entire bag or plate's worth of one or the other...or both :)

We recently bought a kitten. She's the perfect fit for our family! We've tried having dogs several times, but for those of us with several small kiddos, a dog just doesn't seem to work well! I miss our little long-haired mini dachsund, gone for about 5 years now, but I know we made the right decision to pass her off to a family that would actually be home to play with her! Sometimes doing the right thing is the hardest thing we'll ever have to do. Stay strong and when you get down, remember why you did what you did in the first place.

Popular Posts