The Football Fantasy

It is no secret that I love football. Being a mom of one ten year old (read that “independent beyond his years”) and a meager condo, I have little else requiring my attention on the weekends than football. From college on Saturday (Notre Dame, Penn State or Michigan) to the pro’s (Patriots) on Sunday, I generally have the tv programmed to sports for the duration.

I was recently persuaded to join my company’s fantasy football league (it was a speech about building comraderie that got me) and have since learned the following:

FANTASY FOOTBALL MAKES YOU AN OBSESSIVE FANATIC.

It’s true. I watched way too much football prior to this whole league forming but now? NOW?! Oh.my.lord. I am not only watching every game that’s broadcast but I am continually scouring the internet and squinting at the tv to read the stats they display for each.individual.player. I don’t care if the Giants win or lose but I need Tiki Barber to have the game of his life. Atlanta vs. New Orleans? Who would normally care? But me?! I have a huge interest in the game with Vick, Bush and two other players in the mix. It’s not enough to just cheer for my favorite team, I have to cheer against a team so that the defense I chose might stand a fighting chance.

And then there’s the picks I have to make for each week. Studying up which team is playing which team. Sure, Detroit defense has been great the first two games but how will they fare against Green Bay (and as it turns out NOT WELL – all thanks to Bear for that recommendation!) Would Ben Rothlesberger have a great game this week after the miserable loss last week (no, so thank goodness I kept him on the bench.)

I’ve gone from the girl who knew just enough to talk with the boys around the water cooler to the FANTATIC football chic who can’t stop debating about whether the Bronco defense will be one to pick up in week 4.

Lord.help.us.all.

Comments

Jules said…
That's me! I used to just watch football "here and there". I mean, I like football, but I wasn't one to change my plans just to see the game. But now? Oh, lord. I saw the funniest commercial where the woman says that she'll only watch football on Saturday and Sunday...and Monday...and sometimes Thursday. Yeah. That's me now. I can't get enough. My boyfriend is in league and I thought it would be a fun way to bond and learn more about the different teams. Now, I'm obsessed with all the details. Yea, football!
jenny said…
mwahahahaha.

let me just say that who would've EVER thought that Mark Brunell should be started over Tom Brady?????

i too, am obsessed.

and need Reggie Bush to have the game of his life.
Newlywife said…
Here is what I have learned. Don't choose any players that play on your favorite team. If you pick Brady to be your quarterback, you find yourself not enjoying the game. Last year, I had Brady, and if they scored without him in the mix, I couldn't be happy, because it didn't give me any points...

It was too much for me. this year, no patriots on my fantasy team.
jenny said…
newlywife, where were you on draft day?!?!?!

My team is full of Patriots.

So yesterday's game was twice as disappointing as a normal loss.

sigh.

Popular Posts