O Holy Night

Tomorrow we are braving the Closet Of Death to get out the Christmas decorations. Despite having my shopping done and cards in the mail, the spirit of Christmas has still thus far eluded me. Tomorrow, however, I will dig out the Christmas music and try my best to get into the spirit of it all.

I love music. I do. And I love Christmas music. Mostly. I just really hate made-up Christmas songs sung my famous singers who ought to stick to lip-syncing on SNL. I like traditional Christmas music. But it seems that on every CD they have to stick some comical Santa-ish song just to be fun and cute and original. I don’t want original.

All that said, a few years ago I discovered what would quickly become my all-time favorite Christmas CD. There isn’t a single, solitary hokey song on the whole thing. Martina McBride's "White Christmas". I know, she’s “country”. I love country music, but I understand that many people don’t. Please know that there is absolutely nothing about her amazing voice or the incredible traditional songs that would ever make you say “um, sweetums, cuhd ya pass me dat der banjo?”

What do you listen to around the holidays? What are your favorite songs? Do you have a favorite CD that you play over and over endlessly?

Comments

Popular Posts