Today's Highs and Lows

He was a little too eager for H.A.L.T. tonight. Said he already knew what his highs and lows were going to be. He worked on S.A.T. practice while I got dinner together and then after grace was said I jumped right into H.A.L.T. eager to hear his answers.

But LM wouldn't rush the moment. He insisted I go first.

"Fine. My low today is that I ran out of quarters before I ran out of laundry. Now you."

"My low is that my arm hurt today."

"That's your low? We waited all night for that?"

"No, you're waiting for my high."

"Oh, fine, what's your high?"

"No, you go first," he insisted.

"Fine. Kill me with the suspense. My high is that while I didn't sub today, I am booked for 9 of the next 11 days."

"Wow, Mom, that's awesome!"

"Now, what's this high that you've had tucked in your mind for so long today?"

"Tyisha asked me to the Valentine's Day dance today - just as friends."

I'm not sure what was the more significant indicator that my Little Man is growing up - that he's off to his first dance next month or that being asked by a girl fell under his high of the day.

Either way, I think my "thanks" for the day will be that he waited until I didn't have food in my mouth when he told me. I certainly would have choked. And then I would have to revise my low.

Comments

Jen said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said…
One of my sons would consider this a high. :) I love the HALT idea. Do you do it everyday?
Sarah Louise said…
the quarters one is a real thing at this household too.

But very cool about the dance!!

Also about the subbing. Glad you didn't choke.
Katrina said…
Oh, how cute! I think you've crossed a new threshold of the parenting experience! You'll have to let us know how the dance goes (dare we hope for a picture?)

We do High/Low at our house, too. We finally had to make a standing rule that Katie's High could not be "recess". (I mean, that's a given, right?)
Jennifer said…
I love the HALT idea - maybe we'll implement it here at dinner time :) And, to think that little LM will be attending a school dance - guess he isn't so little anymore! Will mom be chaperoning???
Anonymous said…
WOW - We cannot wait to hear more. . . Jules
jenny said…
ooooooh. The girl thing. I'm with Jennifer...will you be chaperoning???? :)

Popular Posts