Chasing Fireflies - Martin

I fell in love with Martin's writing when I stumbled upon "Wrapped in Rain" a couple years ago. Like Nicholas Sparks, Charles Martin writes novels that are wholesome without being predictable or bland. Realistically human characters with lives as simple and yet complex as our own travel along through part of their life's journey while we, and our hearts, come along for the ride.

I had stumbled across Martin's book a few months ago in the library card catalog, but the book was still being reviewed by the librarians (what a job!) and not available for checkout. Remembering how much I loved Rain, I decided to splurge and buy myself (and a friend) the book for Christmas. I have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to read it and finally sat down yesterday and devoured it all in one big gulp. (I love days like that, and I was so grateful that the novel didn't disappoint.)

Chasing Fireflies is a story about families. Families created by blood and families created by love. It was a reminder that sometimes, blood is the one tie that binds us to another. It was a reminder in many ways of my desire to be a foster parent. It is a story about truth, about redemption and about how far we will go to protect those that we love most. In the end, we are reminded, it's love that matters most.

For a great, easy, heartwarming read, I highly recommend Martin and especially Chasing Fireflies.

(A word of caution, don't look at the author's picture when you read this novel. He looks to be about 21. With a wife and three kids. And SEVERAL novels to date. It might be Christian Fiction, but I'm green with envy!)

Comments

Jennifer said…
So, which one would you recommend I read first - Chasing Fireflies or Wrapped in Rain. I just finished The Notebook - without shedding 1 tear! I'm hoping that there isn't something wrong with me since the rest of you all cried (or as Katrina put it, sobbed). I have a feeling it has everything to do with the fact that I had to read the last, long chapter in pieces over the day, and wasn't able to totally engross myself. I hate it when that happens! Anyway, let me know which one you'd read first, k? jsegulja@gmail.com

Popular Posts