Testing Testing

I attended LM's "Academically Talented" conferences today. He is pulled out one day a week from school to participate in accelerated curriculum. Today I met with his AT teachers for the first time. I signed in, listing my child's name, my name, the school LM attends and the time of my arrival. Suffice it to say, old habits die hard as when they came out and asked for Mrs. Man (LM's last name, my married name) I immediately jumped up and responded, never once correcting them and saying that I actually go by my maiden name of Miss Jane. D'oh.

The conference was interesting. (LM is doing just fine, don't worry. They aren't kicking him out - yet.) Despite the fact that we were in a building that used to be the high school, we seemed limited on the number of rooms available for conferences. Therefore three teachers were holding conferences in the same room. And LM's teacher? Spoke soooo loudly I was glad she had positive things to say about my child. "He's a moron!" would have reverberated for hours with her voice.

The most interesting part was when I asked about next year's program. We had only found out about this program (Avant Garde) when we spoke with someone in the Administrative building before moving. We only knew the basics. If LM was gifted, this is where he needed to be. And so he is. But I didn't know what happened for next year and the Avant Garde program only goes up to 6th grade. That's when she said, "Well, LM is taking the SAT's this month, right?"

The SAT's? You mean the PSAT's? The tests that are the pre-pre-pre SAT's?

Nope, the SAT's. The real ones. The ones you take in high school.

Um, no, actually, we hadn't scheduled that on our list of things to do in sixth grade.

Yeah, well, we should have gotten a letter and he'll need to register and take the SAT's before the end of the year, preferably in March, so they can place him in next year's Academically Talented Youth Program that actually meets one afternoon every week at the local university.

Um, yeah, so he needs to take the SAT's now?

Yep.

Uh huh. But he'll be with other 11 and 12 year olds when he takes the test?

Oh, no. He'll be with high schoolers mainly.

Oh my.

So, we stopped by Barnes and Noble on the way home and bought ourselves the Barrow's 23rd edition of the SAT prep book (with sample tests!) and we're adding that to the list of things I'm homeschooling LM in after school each day. Goodness me.

I'm glad I never took the SAT (I took the ACT). I'd be really embarrassed if LM scored higher than me 5 years younger.

Comments

Katrina said…
Heehee...it's a special gift being the parent of a genius, and you are doing a wonderful job. :D I'm so glad LM is doing well, and I'm sure he's going to rock the SATs!
Mig said…
Ummmm ? CRIPES!!! SATs???? Taken with high school students?
So he'll be done with college then? By 18?
Sarah Louise said…
Well, and probably why it's the SATs they want him to take is that it's the PSATs that trigger tons of college mail, and I mean tons. Boxes and boxes and boxes. I actually ended up going to school the first two years to a school that sent me the first piece of mail and graduated from a place I don't remember ever getting mail from, but was the first place the college counselor at my HS recommended. Both were a perfect fit for the two years I attended each.

Gads, I do go on.

xo,

SL
jenny said…
SATs for a sixth grader is to crazy making as Amy is to ________.

a. applesauce making.
b. great parenting.
c. certified teaching.
d. trying not to be bested by the sixth grader in the practice tests.
d. all of the above.


Wow! What a week you've had. Congratulation to you and LM!

Popular Posts