Bear

I remember meeting Bear for the first time with my Dad. I think we had driven my sister part way to school and then Bear was meeting us to take her the rest of the way. We pulled into the parking lot and Bear came out to meet us and the first words he uttered were, “Hey Jules, guess what movie I seen last night?” I still shudder. He liked country music and Nascar. He ate ketchup on everything and by everything I mean mashed potatoes and Pringles included. A plate of 6 cheesey hot dogs was a single serving for him, not a dish for the whole family to share. He was from a small town in Michigan and coming to visit us later on in Illinois might very well have been the first time he was out of his own state.

Within a few years of Bear joining our family, Bear became the big brother I never had. He broke the ice by saying things in front of my dad that none of us would dare say. He teased my little brother to no end, picking him up and putting his feet on the ceiling until he begged for mercy – then doing it a hundred times more when G begged for more. Within a few more years, I started listening to country music myself and after buying Bear tickets to go see a Nascar race, I got hooked on the sport, too.

Bear has introduced my family to some of the most politically incorrect sayings of all time, along with many others that will make you laugh until you cry. Ride with him (there is no such thing as driving with Bear in the car with you – he always drives) just once and you’ll learn a hundred new ways to exercise road rage verbally. There have been times when LM has gone directly from time with my family at Julie and Bear’s house to spending time with my ex’s family, and during the ride in between, I am reminding LM not to repeat ANY of the things he heard Uncle Bear say during the last few days.

All things considered, from my first impression of this grammatical nightmare of a man, Bear has been such a fun brother to have around. Family get togethers are more fun because he’s there (mainly because he’s not afraid to speak his mind). I am glad he’s a part of our family, and I’m so thrilled to call him my brother.

Happy Birthday, Bear!

Comments

Wendy said…
Well, happy birthday to Bear! Sounds like a great guy. When I first met my husband I thought ... Oh no ... no no no no nooooo. He is what I call a "diamond in the rough" though. He may not be cultured and mannered, he may like to press on one side of his nose to "blow" out the other side clear into the street (gulp), and he may wipe his mouth on the shoulder part of his shirt, but he's sweet and funny and very loving. I couldn't have picked any better!
Katrina said…
Bear does indeed sound like a "diamond in the rough". Just don't rub all the "rough" off--that's the most fun part!

What a treasure to have in your family!

Popular Posts