Love

There was a time in my life when I supported the Death Penalty. I could give reason to the consequence for acts of violence beyond comprehension. I was able to justify in my mind the killing of a man for the decisions he had made to take the life (lives) of others. Later on, I changed my view on the matter, but I am still to this day, able to hear arguments for both sides and understand the reasoning.

I have never supported abortion but in my heart I can imagine circumstances where the option would seem viable. I can put together the pieces of rape and find an excuse then, although I still stand on the side of life. I can hear, I can understand, I can even agree with the argument made.

I have never been an unbeliever. I have never in my life believed there wasn’t a God. I have been a Christian from a very young age and while I have been angry with God, and have wondered how on earth he could allow such horrible things to happen to people, I have never had a length of time when I did not believe He existed. And I cannot for the life of me understand how people explain Him away.

Evolution has never made sense to me. Not to say that we haven’t adapted as species, or developed as necessary for our surroundings, but that all life comes from some cell, some fish, some monkey turned human? No, I cannot make it seem reasonable. I cannot look at the world, at the way the entire universe operates, at the big and the small picture and say it just happened with a “bang”. I cannot. I nearly laugh, the thought is so ludicrous to me. It is the one area of my life that I am completely unable to stand in an agnostic’s shoes and see their view even if I don’t agree with it.

Last night, LM and I watched, “March of the Penguins.” At the end of the movie, LM and I talked for quite awhile about how amazing it is that God gave even the smallest creatures a soul, that they might demonstrate compassion, sorrow and joy. That more than just instinct, more than anything science can explain, we can witness the artistry of God’s imagination. That we can see the love that abounds in everything in our life. I cannot for the life of me imagine what a movie like that feels like to someone who doesn’t believe in God. How do you explain the soul, the nurturing, the sense of family, obligation to offspring, the distance and endurance these animals overcame….I could go on and on. It is more, I think than science alone can explain. It is more than simply reproduction for sake of continuing a species. They mourn. They love. They in many ways demonstrate a greater commitment to parenting that many people do today.

I once watched a special on elephants that moved me in much the same way. I remember the narrator explaining the mourning that the herd goes through over the loss of a member. I will never forget the images of the elephants running their trunks over the bones of a deceased elephant, over and over caressing as if to remember, to immortalize. It was powerful. It was much the same experience as watching the penguins last night.

If you haven’t seen this documentary, I encourage you to do so. It’s a love story that reminds us of the Love of our God, our Creator. If he has given the penguins such heart, if he has provided for them the instincts and compassion necessary for survival, for family, for life, think of how He has blessed us all the more.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Comments

Emily said…
Interesting. I've never given much thought to other animals having souls. Do you have to have a soul to have an emotion? Do they have emotions like we do, or is it more of an instinct?

Mark and I watched March of the Penguins when we were sick over Christmas. We are convinced there is a subliminal message in it that FORCES you to fall asleep 15 minutes in. We tried to watch it three times before we succeeded.
Unknown said…
the evolution of mankind seems unreasonable to you, but the idea that a higher power willed something into existence doesn't seem far-fetched? not trying to start an argument or anything. just playing devil's advocate ...
Amy said…
I don't mind the comment at all, gretchen, and no, it doesn't seem far fetched at all to me, to believe in a higher power. If you consider the number of people in the world, of various religions, most have in common the belief that there is a higher power of some sort. I don't think we're all lunatics, and I think it is founded in truth.

playing devil's advocate on a theological point? lol

Popular Posts