Complete

We’ve rearranged and cleaned carpets. We’ve moved plants to new locations to catch the light as it comes around the corner of the house now. I got rid of the baker’s rack that I’ve had for far too long to be fashionable and we have found a new place to start putting the books I’ve read since the shelves are overflowing.

I made a huge pot of chili some of which I’ll freeze. In a short bit, we’ll make pizza and while LM has lost the privilege to have Movie Night, we’ll still enjoy a night cuddled up on the couch while the last of the living room carpet dries. I’ve washed all of our bedding, including the comforters giving us fresh warm beds to sleep in.

This morning, before even getting out of bed, LM declared, “I love our house.” So do I. I love it not for the things that we own, but for how it reflects the people that we are. I love it for the light that shines in the windows. I love it for the bird feeders that hang on the deck. I love it for the plants, books and pictures that abound. But I love it for the peace and comfort that it brings. I love it for being mine. I love that I pay the mortgage and I do it alone. I love that I provide this for my son. I love the pets we own and the love and laughter that we all enjoy together. I love my life. It feels complete. Just.The.Way.It.Is.


And yet…

Yesterday I started the book "The Time Traveler’s Wife" and I finished it in bed early this morning. I loved it. I savored it. I treasured the experience of reading it. It was the first time I finished the last page and nearly turned back to the front to start again. Love that transcends time and place. Love that endures all. Love through the good and the bad. Love that is enough and more.

I don’t know how it is that I can be so entranced by a story of such deep love and yet be so satisfied in my life without it. Perhaps that’s the way it is supposed to be. Peace without someone brings peace with someone. I don’t know. Maybe the story is a dream, a Hollywood version of love, but not to me. It wasn’t a description of easy love. It wasn’t a story of perfect, untested love. It was a story of true love. I have never wanted to settle for less.

Perhaps the peace that I feel is from the knowledge that I love my life plenty as it is and have no need to settle for a love that is less than true. I am content enough with all that I have and all that I feel without substituting something less than perfect. Perhaps finding contentment in the life that we have alone allows us the patience to wait for the love of our life to come along. Perhaps at the right place and the right time, the love that is perfect for me will enter our lives and bring our sense of contentment to a whole new level.

Perhaps it's just a reminder that loving someone doesn't "complete" us; that we are complete on our own, and coming together we form a union of life with two individuals. Perhaps having what feels like a full life does not exclude the idea that there are pieces yet to come. There are not voids to be filled; when love comes, we make room, we open our hearts wider, we make the circle bigger.

Comments

Newlywife said…
I have to say that I love reading your blog. It reminds me to be thankful even when everything isn't perfect. You seem like such a together, satisfied person...truly content.

Your blog gives me perspective on days that mine is out of whack. I really love coming by everyday to read what is new with you and LM.

I just wanted you to know that.
Wendy said…
Yup, I agree with with Newlywife ... I love to read here. I do know the feeling of loving your home - for the peace and tranquility inside - and how it reflects the people that we are. I'm entirely content here .. and that is such a good feeling. I believe what you're feeling is a new chapter in your life - a good one. One that shows you how strong and wonderful you are. Buddha said that the (and no .. I'm not a religious book thumper) ... but Buddha said that the key to a happy life is to 'want what you have and not want what you don't have.' ... that "desire is the root of our suffering." So, because you are so content with yourself, and you don't let 'desire' stand in your way of being content with yourself (i.e.: knowing that loving someone does not complete you, you are complete on your own - lots of people miss that.) ... but I think that this is part of why you're so happy, because you are perfectly content within yourself. Lots of people would envy that feeling. I'm so happy for you. :~)
Amy said…
Thanks - to both of you - that was really sweet of you to say and really made my day. Truly.
Katrina said…
"There are not voids to be filled; when love comes, we make room, we open our hearts wider, we make the circle bigger."

You are a writer, girl!

I love everything about this post, and the peace and ease that I felt inside as I read it. We learn so much from your inner journeys--thank you for taking us along!
Anonymous said…
Great post!

The best love is built by two people who are complete. Somehow, it can make us "more complete." Or, in the case of me (being a guy), it makes us "more complete idiots."

– Texas T-bone

Popular Posts