Enough

I have come to realize lately that my life feels so very simple. It doesn’t feel harried or chaotic, it feels serene and uncomplicated. I don’t know that I have ever had what I would describe as a ‘hectic life’ but even more so lately, I have noticed that my happiness seems to come in what looks from the outside to be the most mundane things and events.

Last evening was LM’s night to cook, but neither of us was hungry enough to warrant the effort of a full meal, so we decided to piece our way through the night. When LM finally got hungry enough to ask what there was to eat, I started to pull odds and ends of things out of the fridge in way of options. There was a small serving of baked beans, about as much macaroni and cheese, there was a piece of London broil leftover and I could make up a Caesar salad if he wished. He finished off this and that and as he did I put dishes in the dishwasher and wiped down the counter. By the time he was done, I felt so satisfied that the odds and ends in the fridge were consumed and the space was cleared out and straightened, ready for our weekly trip to the store on Saturday. Everything was in place. It just felt like the simplest of joys.

I thought to put a load of laundry in, but there wasn’t enough to do, I was already caught up. LM had vacuumed the living room and dining room as he chore, so the house seemed straightened and fresh.

I finished Anna Karenin (I have always thought it was KareninA, but this listing omits the ‘a’ http://www.bartleby.com/316/) today and feel accomplished by having done so. I filed my taxes last week and will have the refund end of next.

This weekend we are expecting a foot of snow on Saturday evening, news that will excite LM to no end when he hears and Gabe when he sees it. I have no plans, I have no place that I have to be. The snow will in no way dampen our weekend nor will it prevent us from any activities. It can fall and be enjoyed without a thought otherwise.

We will head to the grocery store for our weekly shop this evening and we will be surrounded by families stock piling for the winter storm, a concept I do not understand in an age when within a couple hours after a snow storm of ANY size, we are able to get out and about, but the fearful amongst us will be out hoarding bread and milk as always. We will pick out a movie for Movie Night and perhaps will stop to get the needles and yarn I need to start learning to knit now that my how-to book has arrived. We will put the Gentle Leader collar on Gabe and see how he does with it, optimistic that perhaps our days of lunging at other dogs are over.

On paper, it doesn’t look as though there is much going on in our lives. We aren’t rushing off to basketball practice, or running errands for the duration of a day but life feels full, it feels good, it feels like it is “enough”. Which is all I could have ever hoped for.

I wish you ‘enough’ today and everyday.

Comments

Newlywife said…
Maybe it's because I am from Boston, but is it me or do people in Philly FREAK OUT over the potential snow storm? The news hypes up these stroms like they are going to cause a shutdown in global communications and economy.

I have to say, the fact that you are so peaceful and satisfied in the face of what the news has told us is no dowbt going to be a natural disaster is refreshing.
Wendy said…
I do laugh at how people 'freak' over the "big storm" ... now mind you, I'm not talking hurricanes, etc ... I'm talking a foot of snow. It's alot, but it's not the most. Funny.

I'm with you on the simple pleasures. I love to be home, with my family, doing simple things - doesn't really matter what - as long as my family and pets are around me. I am most at peace then. Feels good.

Popular Posts