Update

By the way:

The dog. We've been working with the Halti collar (just like a Gentle Leader) but to no avail. It helps to pull him back in when he does lunge, but it doesn't really prevent him from barking and lunging in the first place. We went to the Bark Park again on Monday and I watched Gabe very closely. He saw another dog approaching the area and he came to me and sat at my feet. The other dog came through the gates, the owner unleased her and let her go, and she ran all through the fenced area and Gabe never moved, never barked. He eventually went over to say hello, but then came scurrying back with his hackles raised because the other dog spooked him. Gabe is clearly NOT an aggressive dog. I spoke with the vet when I was there to pick up heartworm meds and she said that dogs like the mastiff, rotties, some labs, can be aggressive on a leash. It's just part of their sense of defending their owners that comes through. Would have been useful information when we were picking a mastiff as our breed. Never ever once read such a thing in all the research that we did, but it's something we have to live with. He is otherwise not at all aggressive but on the leash we may always have some issues. She recommended doing what we've been doing, correcting when he barks or lunges and to keep correcting and moving on past the other dog. At some point, she said, he may only need one reminder to "leave it!" and he'll do fine, but he'll probably always think of another dog as a threat when he is leashed. Oh.Joy.

I was talking with LM last night about Love Languages. I had my suspicions about what he was, but wanted to see what his thoughts were. We were sitting on the couch, snuggled up under our warm down throw as I explained all the languages and gave examples for each from our family. As I explained that I am "Quality Time" he reached over and patted my leg with a smile and said, "So am I." Just as I thought. :) It was so sweet!

My boredom at work led me to read two lengthy Russian novels, but it bothers me to read on a computer monitor so I have now turned my attention to Sudoku! LM's best friend does these puzzles all the time so I thought I would give it a whirl. Man, that mathematically analytical side of me loves these things! I've only attempted the "medium" ones thus far. I'm a little nervous to try a "advanced" one!! (I'd still rather be busy doing actual WORK at WORK - since that's what they pay me for - but despite all my efforts, I still have nothing to do.)

5. Is anyone else as totally uninterested in the Olympics as I am? I've never been a huge fan, I'll admit, but it seems like the only reports I hear about the U.S. and the Olympics are people whining and complaining - athletes who seem to be perpetuating the name of Americans as being cry-baby rich kids. I'm sure there are some feel-good stories, too, but overall, it's yet another example of why I'm sometimes not at all proud to be an American.

Comments

Popular Posts