The Whistling Season - Doig

Oh to have the capacity to write like Doig in The Whistling Season! If I were ever to wish for a skill (beyond having the vocal prowess of Martina McBride) I would wish for this. To hold in my hands such a novel as this and know those words, this story, these characters poured forth from my soul.

Elegant, captivating, lyrical, magical, witty, intelligent...this novel was delightful to read and will be savored in future readings again and again. With the arrival of Rose and Morrie into the home of Paul, his two younger brothers and widowed father, comes more than just new acquaintences, but a new education altogether. Sweetly, senuously entwining the past, present and years to come, Doig takes his characters through their simple Montana farm life and into our hearts. We can all relate to the way a teacher moved us, or the way a secret changed our lives. The moment we realized we were no longer a child, the way a parent sometimes needs protection provided by a child, or how lessons learned in our youth can help us understand how to best deal with the world as adults.

The story, the characters, the setting, the language is fresh, intelligent, and original. I loved the book from the first page and as I turned each one, I wondered who I would send my copy to first. By the end I wondered if I'd ever let it go from my favorites collection. Go buy your copy of The Whistling Season right now. Best $11 you'll spend on a book for a long while.

Comments

Jen said…
Thanks, Amy. I think I will go get this book.
Katrina said…
Oh, this makes me want to read it! Next trip to the library...

Popular Posts