A Thousand Splendid Suns - Hosseini

If you have not read Kite Runner yet, I implore you to make it summer reading. While you're at amazon.com, go ahead and buy A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Hosseini's debut novel, Kite Runner, took the world by storm. An historical novel that grabbed the hearts of all of us, allowing us more than just a glimpse, an experience within a culture so unfamiliar and yet events that we can all relate to.

A Thousand Splendid Suns equally grabs a hold and does not let go. Again, set in war torn years of political unrest in Afghanistan, the novel follows the lives of two women, caged by marriage and the cultural dictates on women, redeemed by love and grace. For all the ways my life is remarkably dissimilar to this story, I still found my heart aching for the characters, my frustration growing with every obstacle they faced and my tears streaming with the price of freedom and safety. The plot was unpredictable to me, I was caught off guard at each turn, at each new challenge the characters faced. It was unimaginable to me that we live in the same world where such atrocities exist, and yet, Hosseini presents a clear truth, a simple and straight forward rendering of a fictional tale within an historically accurate environment.

This book is a tremendous novel in and of itself and is a phenomenal second novel for Hosseini. I highly recommend both with unconditional praise.

Comments

Jules said…
I've been anxious to read his books. Your descriptions are so lovely.
Mig said…
I was wondering about this book.

Kite Runner was excellent. You won't be disappointed.

I have it if you want to trade.

;-)
Sarah Louise said…
I have a huge problem with rape. No one told me there was one in Kite Runner. I was unable to finish it and extremely angry at everyone who told me "it's a beautiful story of friendship." Yes, and it has a violent rape scene early on.

(says the librarian who doesn't believe in censorship but thinks books should come with ratings like movies do.)

That said, I think it's great that there are enough books to go around. I don't have to read KR or 1000 SS suns...I can read In Her Shoes or Gilead instead.
Anonymous said…
Off to add this to my list of books to buy! Thanks for the recommendation.
Emily said…
I just picked this up the other day at Target. I'm only on chapter six... but I LOVED Kite Runner so much, and this one already has me hooked!
jenny said…
I ordered this with my last book club book and it's been waiting patiently for me to pick it up.

If it's even partly as good as The Kite Runner I'll be happy.

Popular Posts