Ergonomics

I have owned my car for more than three years now (you'd not know that by the amount still due to the bank, but still...) In those three years I have struggled with a number of issues with the design of my Taurus.

1) My car came equipped with a single CD player and a radio. The console between the front seats, however, opens up to reveal storage slots applicably designed for tapes.

2) My turn signal will not stay on rounding curves in the opposite direction. Thus, making the right turn onto the street to my development while banking left on the road, requires you to hold the signal if you don't wish to upset those waiting to turn at the corner. Likewise, not 100 yards later, in an attempt to turn on my street as the main road veers left, you will, again, need both hands on to turn the wheel while holding the signal in place. An every day double annoyance.

3) The window controls on the driver's door are not in the right ergonomic location for the length of my arms. Despite the years of experience with this particular vehicular impairment, I still tend to put down the back windows when I mean to put down the front. A lesson learned the most severely when I got into my car this morning to find it soaking wet from the thunderstorm last night that blew in through perfectly open back windows. In my brainless driving, I had not even realized I had put the back windows down and therefore never thought to put them back up after putting the vehicle in park outside my door.

Soggy doesn't even begin to describe the backseat.

Comments

Hillary said…
Oh no! Got some good neighbours with hair dryers? ;)

Or space heaters! When my car was leaking in the trunk, we folded down the seats, putt he car undercover for 24 hours, and ran a space heater throught the car. Worked like a charm!
Mig said…
UGH, I hate it when that happens!
jenny said…
I bought a toyota two and a half years ago after my taurus clunked out.

The door lock buttons are opposite of the ford and I STILL can't remember which direction to turn the key or push the buttons.

old habits die hard, i suppose.

at least it was the back seat, though.
Jennifer said…
Yuck! Good luck getting it all dried out - and smelling good!!!
~**Dawn**~ said…
Better than the front seat though, right? ;-)
Anonymous said…
It's a FORD thing. . .My explorer is the same exact way! Jules

Popular Posts