Whirlwind

The fact that my sister called me this morning and I talked to her for a half hour from my office should tell you several things about my week. a) that I haven't spoken with my sister nearly as much as usual (read that: not every day) b) that my current job is still slow c) that my evenings are currently crazy, which is remarkably unusal in my life.

Monday evening, LM and I talked through preparations for his departure. With five days until he leaves, we didn't panic, only talked about what he still needed and what he planned on taking with him. I asked him to take his duffle to his dad's on Tuesday and RETURN HOME with all the clothes that have made their way to that house and never made their way back. (Note: Dad says all he has at his house are "sweatshirts")

Tuesday, LM was at his dad packing said duffle (which I later discover has all kinds of clothes, including a lifetime supply of underwear and socks that we have been slowing missing from our house.) I was running errands, as I always do on Tuesdays, including a stop at the bank and a stop to get a 'end of the year' sort of gift for the girls.

Wednesday, rush home from work, change my clothes, water the plants on the deck (we've had rain and cool temps every day and STILL my plants are dry) - get plant stuff all over my shirt, change clothes again, go to Pastor's house for dinner and deep conversation. All went very well, but emotionally wrung me out. Get home at 10:30, throw LM into bed and fall into my own. Don't get to sleep until much later due to said thinking, but nevertheless, feel good about all that our pastor shared with us and the status of LM's own thoughts at the moment.

Tonight: my last night with LM before he leaves. Which means we must:
1. stop by the eye doc to get his glasses re-fitted so they don't slide down his nose any longer.
2. mail a package to George in care of my dad, since George is headed to TN for a few days all by himself!
3. buzz his head, which then requires a follow-up shower.
4. do laundry. I did it all on Monday, but now have to do what he wore this week (all his favorites) and make sure that the stuff that came from Dad's is actually clean.
5. pack. clothes, books, games, toys, animals, bike, swim gear, the kitchen sink....
6. get the boy to bed with lots of hugs and kisses to last him through the next five weeks.
7. go wrap and pack all the secret items I've been purchasing and stashing away (books, games, trumpet music, etc.) for him to discover once he's at Nana's.
8. collapse.

oh, and eat dinner somewhere in there, too.

I will see LM briefly after school on Friday, for the last hurrah before his dad picks him up but then he's off.

And by mid-afternoon on Saturday, I'll be missing my boy something terrible.

Comments

Jules said…
I'm really quite interested in what the Pastor had to say. I'm conflicted about what my upbringing taught me compared to what today's society expects with regard to that subject. Do tell!
jenny said…
my stomach is in a bit of a knot - with this whole five (?!?!) weeks thing.

i will send a replacement with a bonus six year old girl via fed-ex.
Mig said…
Five weeks!?! I cannot even imagine the kids gone that long from the house.

Although in a way you will have plenty of me time.

How about using "bites" instead of sucks?

No?
Jennifer said…
Girl, you're going to miss him terribly, but the days will fly by too :) I'll pray that on the hard days, the Lord will lift up your head and give you grace!

Popular Posts