There Will Come A Day...

...when I am no longer allowed to buy clothes for LM without his approval, but it has not happened just yet.

I recognize myself as fortunate in this area. I don't usually schlep my child around for an entire day of running errands (I can do that when he is at his dad's) so while out and about I shopped some sales racks and picked up some much needed shorts and shirts for summer for the growing boy.

Amongst the ordinary sweat shorts and summer shirts were two shirts and a pair of shorts that I thought was perfect for LM. I was delighted when they were met with a resounded approval from the boy. A pair of beige camo shorts and two shirts, one army green, one black that are button up but have military sorts of patches on them (sortof) were a HUGE hit with my son.

While I had his attention regarding clothes, I reminded him that over the summer, in an effort to not reduce Nana's life to little more than laundry 24/7, he could feasibly wear his shorts TWICE before they were washed if he wasn't too filthy. He asked about shirts. I said no, shirts should really be washed each time.

He asked if he could wear the new shorts and shirt on Monday, before I even had a chance to wash them. Sensing his rare fashion enthusiasm, I reluctantly agreed, wishing to at least have them de-germed, but it's not the worst thing my child could do, so I let him go out the door to school in the camo shorts and green shirt.

Tuesday he wore the black shirt and a pair of sweat shorts (no, they didn't really go together in "style" but there was black in the shorts, so I let that battle go.)

Tuesday is a Dad Night, so I didn't see him until I got home from work yesterday. There he stood in his camo shorts and green shirt. I said, "didn't you just wear that?" He said, "yes, but you washed it in between."

I couldn't really argue with that, even if the kids at school were going to think the child had no other clothing options.

It wasn't until later, while we were playing Yahtzee that it all hit me.

"LM? How did you wear that outfit today? How did it get to Dad's last night for you to even have it to put on this morning?"

LM looked at me sheepishly. He thought he had gotten away with it.

"I took it in a grocery bag in my backpack."

LM protested that he didn't wear it two days IN A ROW!

I guess I definitely still have the ability to pick out clothes he likes, huh? Question is, how do I get them off him?

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are lucky!

my four year old daughter has DEFINITE ideas of what she will and will not wear.

basically, the arguing every morning about clothing has already started.
Jennifer said…
My children, like their father, figure it's OK to wear their clothes over & over again, until they either are so badly stained that I notice, or that they begin to stink. So, I have to stay on top of them every single night to put them into the laundry hamper. Otherwise, they'd wear the same clothes day-in and day-out! I haven't yet figured out how to win the battle, so I can offer you absolutely no help :) If/when you figure it out, let me know, k?
Katrina said…
Kudos on your marvelous fashion sense! I not only still dress my son, but his father, too! For the most part, I can go into a store and pick out clothes for Paul off the rack in his size (and my taste), and he will wear them. Once, though, I bought him a shirt that I just *loved* (sort of a long sleeved rocker type shirt) that was a little more fitted than what he usually wears. I thought he looked totally hot in it, and he liked it, too, but then a guy at work made some comment about it not being his usual style, and he's barely worn it since. I guess peer pressure works at all ages! LOL!

Popular Posts