Mother Nature Says So

This is really for Newly:

I was enjoying my deck this morning (read that: emptying all the saucers full of rain water from the storms last night, trying not to douse my downstairs neighbor) and I noticed a pair of robins who came to visit me. It's rare that robins come to the deck (they are ground feeders - not so many worms up on the second floor) but here they were all full of cheer and song.

As I watched, the Mrs. would have a few words with the Mister and off he would fly. Pretty soon he would return and stuff a little morsel of something down her throat and IMMEDIATELY she would start chattering at him. He would fly up to perch on one of my hanging rods, wipe his beak and fly off again. Repeat.


It didn't take me long to translate the conversation and I wanted to make sure you (and all other pregnant women out there) realize what she was saying.

"Worms?! The best you can do is WORMS?! I'm not in the mood for worms! They make me nauseous. Did you forget abou that nearly puking thing I did when we flew to the birch tree yesterday? You know I need crickets! And what is this tiny little bite thing? I'm eating for five for crying out loud! It's not like I can just fly all around in my condition and find myself some crickets! The least you can do is bring me a little something to eat. After all, it is your fault that I'm even IN this condition to begin with!"

So, Newly, the next time you crave something (like Thousand Island dressing?!) do not feel guilty for sending the Mister out to fetch it for you.

Mother Nature says it's okay.

Update: It took my dear friend Stacy to tell me this isn't a Mrs. Robin but a fledgling (apparently the spots should have given it away). Shows how much I know about birds, huh? So really Dad (or Mom) was getting chewed out by the kid. Yeah, that sounds about right, too.

Comments

Jennifer said…
Without your interpreting, I totally understood what the Mrs. was telling the Mr. And, isn't it just like nature to give us a great example of how things work? All of the Misters out there should take notice of the proper order of things.... :)
Sarah Louise said…
Amen!

Hop to it, Misters of the world!
Mig said…
I love it!

Whomever said that animals rely only on instict hasn't taken the time to watch the communication between each other.

Clearly there is a language barrier.

:-)
Newlywife said…
There is a reason I check this blog first every day. A reason I decided to email you personally. You are the best type of treasure...

You are, on so many mornings, God's Grace.

I am so glad I found you!

Popular Posts