It's Easy To Go Green (really, Kermit!)

Having a DVR has afforded me the ability to watch shows at my leisure. It has also allowed me to be remarkably behind on celebrating events such as Earth Day. It was only just today that I finally watched the Oprah episode on going 'green'. I don't watch every Oprah episode, perhaps only one in ten, but often the ones that I do watch require me to take notes, especially this one! I thought I would share with all of my (six) readers some of the tips that were suggested on the show and ask for any and all comments about ways that you and your family are helping to save our environment. Whether you subscribe to the global warming warnings or not, saving our natural resources is a cause we can all stand behind.

1. Use reusable (organically made) grocery bags, including cloth produce bags.
2. Choose items at the grocery store with the least amount of extra packaging.
3. Buy recycled aluminum foil, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc.
4. Use reusable water bottles made from recycled plastic or aluminum.
5. Visit www.greendimes.com where you can donate a dime a day to stop junk mail from coming to your home and have trees planted as well!
6. Stop using (or greatly limit your use of) paper napkins.
7. Don't take a receipt at the ATM machine.
8. Use the same cup or glass all day long at home or at the office.
9. Buy clothes at resale shops. Never throw away clothes or shoes, donate or give them away.
10. Use Smart Power Strips - really turn things off when not in use.
11. Change lightbulbs to energy efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.
12. RECYCLE everything you can. Visit www.earth911.org to find out what is recyclable in your area.
13. Take extra styrofoam from packages or meat trays to a local packing place to reuse.
14. Don't leave the water running while you shave or brush your teeth. Also, take shorter showers.
15. Wash clothes in cold water.
16. Trade your SUV for a hybrid.
17. Take your own coffee mug to the coffee shop each morning.
18. Keep your water heater on 120 degrees.
19. Put gaskets in your outlets on outside walls to help insulate.
20. Recaulk windows, add weather stripping to doors.
21. Keep thermostat at 78 degrees in the summer.
22. Visit www.americanforest.com. They will plant a tree for $1. (It takes four trees to replenish the air for what we take out of it every month.)
23. Buy eco-friendly, all-natural cleansers and products (New Wave, Seventh Generation, Meyers, Method, etc.)
24. Buy bio-degradable trash bags (and doggy bags!)

The amazing statistics that follow from each of us just doing one of these items, or just changing one lightbulb, or turning off one appliance are astounding. I am certain you all have some great tips to add, too!! I can't wait to make some changes and to hear what ideas you all have!!

(First on my list is to purchase bio-degradable doggy bags. We've been using the leftover plastic grocery bags, but then we don't recycle those, we put them in the trash. That's HORRIBLE!!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey- thanks for mentioning GreenDimes in your post. We really appreciate your taking the time to tell others about our service. Make sure to check in from time to time and find out what new projects we are working on to help make our world a better place.
Thanks again for your post,
Kendra
www.greendimes.com
jenny said…
oprah, eh?

I have to say, I'm contrary enough to do just the opposite because SHE suggested this stuff and I do not like that woman. At. All.

But the guilt would get me so I won't. I do some of the things from the list - the lightbulbs, the recycling, shutting the water - some of the easier ones.

78 degrees in the summer? wha? is she crazy? maybe i will use copious amounts of paper napkins to wipe the sweat from my brow.
Jennifer said…
#21 made me laugh - you cannot keep your thermostat at a balmy 78 degrees during the summer when you live in Texas! But, we do our best to keep it comfortable without going overboard on the cold :)

Popular Posts