Eleven

The Top Eleven Things I Love About My Little Man:

1. His sense of humor. This will always appear on my list of favorites for LM, as I think he has a well-developed sense of humor. He is intelligently witty. This is not to say he doesn't still appreciate the occasional "fart joke" but he's more likely to use the words "flatulence" which makes it even funnier coming from a child.

2. His brain power. I hereby declare that I am NOT smarter than a fifth grader. LM has struggled in school only because his academic ability greatly exceeds the curriculum being taught in his classroom. He continues to be a voracious reader (he just polished off Tom Clancy's "Patriot Games" in three days) and excels in math, social studies and science. This year, he has even improved his writing grades, a HUGE accomplishment for LM!

3. His affection. LM is quick to compliment you on a great meal, a fun afternoon, or just to thank you for an evening spent together reading on the couch. He loves hugs, sponges up praise and if you think to leave him a sweet little note just telling him how impressed you were with how clean his room is, he will tuck it away in his "forever box".

4. LM is up for anything. Want to go to the park? Bowling? Kayaking? Parasailing? Bungee jumping? Mini-golfing? Just want to relax on the couch with a movie? Out to dinner? Homemade pizza? LM doesn't care. His enthusiasm will quickly follow and he'll tag along to do almost anything you please. A day outside with a good walking stick is high on his list of days well spent.

5. His maturity. I have noticed over the last couple of years LM's social maturity really coming around. He takes interest in the little kids at church and helps them with activities. He thinks about his younger cousins in a caring, compassionate manner. He was delighted to have a new cousin born this year and to be able to hold the baby was a big deal to him. His attitude towards fostering has been amazing and his realization of all that he has to offer to another child is really tremendous.

6. LM is just fun. Whether he's trying to put on his best poker face, or is preparing a personal trumpet concert for me on a Friday evening, LM is clever and funny and sweet. He goes out of his way to do nice things for me, and often has me in stitches with his antics.

7. His independence. Maybe it's because I never thought he'd be an only, but I never babied LM. While I try to make sure he enjoys his childhood, I've also tried to prepare him to be a mature, responsible, loving adult. I saw it especially on the cruise when LM would decide for himself what activities he wanted to do and would go off to the kid's room without needing my assistance or supervision. He could be trusted to go to the room to change, to go to a meal without me, to play for hours in the pool with someone else keeping track of him. While we still have our occasional slip-ups, all in all, he's a very responsible, mature child.


8. His pirate dance. Actually, I just love how he let loose on the cruise. Sometimes, LM can be a bit stuffy, not always wanting to do the things the other kids are doing, but on the cruise, he got up from his chair and DANCED. He had the most amazing time on that boat and I really saw him cut loose and have fun.

9. His appreciation for what is important to me. LM has learned that I like clean counter tops, zipped back packs, picked up rooms and a clean house. He also realizes how much I appreciate the nights that he cooks dinner, the times he walks the dog and all the times he helps take out the trash. He has really come around this year to understanding that he does these things not because I ask it of him, but because it is important to me. It's a sweet, sweet difference.


10. That he enjoys the simple things with me. Great music at church, good movie night, a walk around the neighborhood, a trip to the library, it doesn't have to be expensive or involved, LM just enjoys time together. And I enjoy time with him.

11. That when I look back over the past 11 years (which went by in a flash) there was never a time of his life when I wanted to trade him in. He was never a terrible two, although aliens took over his body around 3 1/2 he was still a delight to be around, he has wriggled through some growing pains as he's stretched his will and independence, but I can never stay mad at him for more than a few hours. LM is, above all else, my pride and my joy. In every way. In every day.

Happy Birthday Little Man!!

Comments

Jules said…
Awww... Amy, that's the sweetest tribute ever!

Happy Birthday, LM!!!
Anonymous said…
He always comes across as such a great kid in your writing and this really cements it. You're one lucky mom!
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday LM!!! We love you lots!!!! Uncle Bear, Aunt Jules and the kids!!!
Katrina said…
Awwww! What a perfect post for a wonderful eleven year old! You can be proud. I know that your dedication and thoughtful parenting is part of the equation that turned out such an amazing young man!

Happy Birthday, LM!
Shelly Hanson said…
ok, I've decided that arranged marriages are a great idea! I want Morgan to marry your son! That was a perfect advertisment for a great husband and friend. Have him give her a call in about 15 years!

Popular Posts