Cities of the Plain - McCarthy

I said I wasn't going to read it. I lied. I just can't NOT finish a trilogy. Besides, it said it brought the two main characters together from the first two novels. Surely that would make for a good novel.

I should have stuck with my gut. I actually finished Cities of the Plain a week ago or so, but it was so incredibly forgettable that I didn't write a review. I'll just say this:

I didn't like the third any more than the second and it was only for love of the first that I even finished the trilogy at all. Maybe I am just too set on finding redemption where there isn't any, or finding hope when all is lost, or believing that all of Mexico just cannot be evil...

I'll just suffice it to say that All the Pretty Horses was a good book, a good movie (in my opinion) and the rest need to just sit on the shelves and collect dust.

Comments

jenny said…
I just got The Road. I'm hearing it's fairly upsetting and doom and gloomish - so I've rethought my decision about it as a Summer read.

I'll stick with Harry Pottah.
Bike Drool said…
You should read "Blood Meridian" by Cormac... that will blow your hair back!!!!!!1
Sarah Louise said…
well, that saves me some time and trilogy guilt. THANKS! Have you read Peace like a river by Lief something? I think you did but I can't think of another "western" to recommmend.

And I am staying away from The Road. Another blogger told me to, explicitly. I trust her, even though she loved it.

Popular Posts