The Aftermath

Last night was just a simple birthday celebration with just the two of us. I made LM's meal of choice (cheeseburgers, corn and baked beans). (Okay, I'll admit, it was his second meal of choice. His first was lasagna, which I am more than happy to make, but I figured I'd wait until my dad and second mom were here next week, but LM doesn't know they are coming, so I had to just suggest that we wait on that one since it's a BIG meal for two people. He was fine with that. No demotions from Mom-of-the-Year yet.) Anywho...

So we ate, and then I ushered my dear birthday boy off to handbell choir (for me). What a wonderful way to spend your birthday evening, huh? I know, but we only have two rehearsals before our next performance, so skipping one wasn't really a good option on my part. I had LM take along the video camera, however, and asked that he record our last song. I had snuck in some new sheet music and while he video'ed, we all played a round of Happy Birthday!! He was quite suprised and was tickled that I had planned all that.

We came home and opened gifts. Star Wars Lego fighter-jet thing from my sister and her family (nice pick, Bear!!) A big, thick composite book of "The Shakespeare Stealer" (excellent suggestion, Stacy!) and a Robo-Reptile (remote controlled dinosaur) that I had picked up while Christmas shopping. LM was thrilled! I had to make a late night run for more batteries (that's what happens when you buy the gift in December - you've used up the batteries that went along with it by May!) We'll have cake and candles and all that on Saturday when his two best buddies come to spend the night.

This morning, however, I had to deal with the aftermath. I had listened to LM tell me excitedly what gifts his dad had given him on Tuesday and I spent much of my evening after LM went to bed researching and mulling over my options. I realize how difficult it must be for a child to live in two homes with such different philosophies on life. I needed to tread carefully, but to make sure that my efforts were not being sabotaged, either. For all my efforts to raise a non-violent, moral, Christian, loving, kind boy (to become a responsible, mature, compassionate man) my ex-husband had bought our eleven year old "Halo" for the X-Box (rated M for Mature) and a full-sized letterman (a swiss army knife of sorts). I spoke with J this morning regarding the game and it turns out he never paid any attention to the rating. He's going to investigate it and decide if it's appropriate or not. I tried to suggest that even games with a T (for Teen) rating were inappropriate for an eleven year old, but I'm not sure that even sunk in. I spoke directly with LM about the knife, explaining it was immediate expulsion from school if he ever took it there (no questions, no retort, no explanations, just expulsion) and that if it even set foot in my home it belonged to me. Period. End of discussion.

I can recognize that these battles are waged within married couples as well, and that many divorced parents cannot reach middle ground without bloodshed, but I still feel weary some days from having to continually fight for LM's right to a normal, healthy childhood.

Comments

Mig said…
I love your choice of gifts for LM. Especially the Raptor. How cool.

You are right to be concerned about the knife. With a gift like that comes "great" responsibilities.

As for Halo, I can see why you'd be concerned. We are a gamer family and Halo was big in our house. Much to my dismay.

The kids love it. I do not.

While I have witnessed my husband and children thoroughly enjoy teaming up to beat the enemy, I have also seen arguing when they play against each other.

I lecture them all (husband including) that in real life there is no killing. They assure me they understand. I still lecture, even today ... but

These days they aren't as interested in it.

Some good alternatives to Halo are ... Fable, Shrek, Zelda or Sonic Hedgehog.

Good luck!
jenny said…
i would try to weasel that little leatherman tool right into my (your) house...all the better to supervise.

I used to whittle branches and sticks and things when i was his age...violent uses never even crossed my mind. But now that i'm a mom - accidental thumbectomies are what would worry me more.
Jules said…
Halo, huh? Not at all a good choice for a child. I mean, the whole point of the game is kill or be killed basically.

How odd that we would both make mention of Star Trek in our posts today. Oh wait, you said Star Wars, didn't you? No matter... that wasn't really my point anyway! Hehehehe...
Jennifer said…
Though I'm not a fan of Halo, hubby & Alex are! I've caught Alex & his friend playing it on numerous occasions without the adult supervision that I insist on, so consequences are given accordingly - no playing Xbox at all for a few days! My rule is that if Halo is turned on, daddy must be playing too, just to ensure that Alex doesn't get overly aggressive. That said, he's quick to point out the bad language and "things we aren't allowed to say in this house", so at least he's getting a lesson in self-control :)

Happy Birthday LM!!!
Shelly Hanson said…
I am truly amazed at the differences in men and women. Men really don't think about things that we do. It's extremely difficult when My daughter comes back from her dads house and I find out that they've watched a PG 13 movie. I don't even let my 13 year olds watch most pg13! What people these days think is ok for kids is always a suprise to me. Our children are over sexed as it is with the media these days and violence is all around us. Why do so many people feel a need to bring it into their home? Shouldn't our homes be a refuge?

oh, Sorry this one touched a nerve...can you tell? :)

Popular Posts