6 Days and Counting

The date is set. After 54 days, I will pick up my Little Man Saturday at noon. I have butterflies. Last year, after a similar summer apart, I cried waiting for him to arrive at the designated meeting place. I know I will have difficulty focusing on much else this week so I figured I might as well dedicate my blogging over the next six days to the six things I’ve missed most about my favorite boy (in no particular order – aren’t you lucky I didn’t choose one thing for every day he’s been gone? Or every minute until I see him again? I could. I truly could. But I’ll refrain. My 2.3 readers are sweet, but more than six things about my boy might scare them away!!)

1. H.A.L.T. (Highs and Lows, Thanks) I miss talking over our days every night at dinner. I miss hearing what disappointed LM and what excited him. I miss the perspective of a 10 year old, reminding me that P.E. can truly be a low and having indoor recess can sometimes be a high. LM has had a summer of awesome experiences; he has learned how to knee board, rode a skeedo, went on a roller coaster, made several new friends and took on new responsibilities. We have kept in contact, talking on the phone every few days but I still feel out of the loop for how he feels about his summer and what has truly left a mark on his impressionable heart. I also miss the way LM listens to what was important about my day. He pays close enough attention that some days he can predict exactly what I will say. I miss the days when both of us agree that we are most thankful for the time we have to spend together. I will enjoy our three hours in the car together to get roughly caught up and then our regular routine to follow over the next several days, weeks and months to re-establish our open lines of daily communication.

Comments

jenny said…
Mine were gone for 48 hours, I thought of you more than once as I had to consciously fill my day.

Only six day left! Woot!
Peter N said…
How nice is that post! Thanks.
Katrina said…
I love highs and lows--we do that with Katie, too. Sometimes it's the only way to stay tuned in to what's going on with her at school.

Popular Posts