2 Days and Counting

It seems so appropos that I spoke yesterday of LM’s tender heart. We’ve had a hard night, but we talked again and while we still fight tears I think we both know we’re doing the right thing. I don’t have any idea how I will actually bring myself to drive my dog there and hand him over but God will give me the strength I need.

Last night was quite a reminder of how much I miss LM’s companionship. Being a single mom and having an only child we have a direct one-on-one relationship with very open lines of communication. I recognize the need to not try to be my child’s best friend, and to maintain a healthy parent-child relationship but ours is particularly close I suppose, because of the circumstances. It was difficult last night to not be able to sit and hug my child as he was crying. It was hard to go to bed not being able to check in on him and make sure he fell asleep. It was hard for me, to sit alone with such a feeling of loss and sadness. I just missed his company.

We have just two days left apart. I know that some of the enthusiasm about returning home is diminished when we’re aware that it also means we’re that much closer to saying goodbye to our dog, but before the conversation ended last night, LM said, “I’m glad I have you for a mom, Mom.” I said, “I can’t imagine a better son than you, LM.”

Two more days.

Comments

Katrina said…
Oh, Amy--I'm sure your arms are just aching for all the hugs you've been missing! I pray your two days pass quickly, and that your close bond with LM will be strengthened by sharing the experiences you've both had while apart!

Hugs to you guys and Gabe, too.

Popular Posts