Right Now

LM is on the phone with his best friend, W. It was the first person he wanted to talk to after he and I had our discussion tonight. The first and only person he wanted to tell. The person that makes this decision the hardest.

LM is explaining to W that we are going to move. That his mom has potentially two interviews in Michigan next week, but regardless of the outcome, the house is going on the market. The question is no longer IF we are going to move, but WHEN. I heard him explain to W that it could be as few as three weeks, it could be as much as four months.

They're also talking about the time LM stayed the night at W's house and they played superheroes, with W's younger brother being "Captain Obvious". They're talking about next year, and all the things W needs to be on guard against in the new middle school ("the big kids, W, stay away from the big kids"). LM is also asking how well W and his favorite brother are getting along, and sharing his stories about counselling two brothers this summer in Pittsburgh (that were going through a divorce). LM is reminding W about the time he tried to go a whole day without speaking and how the reason it failed was because the girl W has a crush on came up and spoke to him, making him break his silence. LM is telling him about how this kid, A, the kid that was so mean to LM all year, asked him for his email address on the last day of school, explaining that he didn't really HATE LM, and that they really did have some things in common (Star Wars). LM said, "He told me not to tell anyone, but that doesn't include you." I hear giggles, and teases, and stories pouring out of LM's room. "If you want her to be your girlfriend, then she is your girlfriend. She might not know that, but it's TRUE." LM is reminding W that if he decided to tell Melissa that he likes her, "don't do it around a ton of people". They are remeniscing , they are sharing stories, they are talking like two eleven year old best friends who've known each other for thirty years.

I remember the friends I've left behind, and friends who have moved away from me over the years. I remember each and every one of them. I know where many of them are today, even if we don't communicate regularly. And I have a few that I have grown closer to over the years.

I hope that LM and W have a great friendship for years to come. No matter where we live.

Comments

SlushTurtle said…
That is the cutest thing ever!!!
Lisa said…
Hee. I love the bit where "If you want her to your girlfriend, she is. She might not know that but it's true." :) Thanks for starting my Thursday off with a smile!
Newlywife said…
THIS IS MONUMENTAL! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE MOVING!
~**Dawn**~ said…
The good thing is that in this day & age, staying in touch is so easy. Telephone. Email. Snail mail. Visits. Some of my best friends live a whole country away from me, but that doesn't mean that we can't still be just as close.
Anonymous said…
We moved from our first house when my sister, Meg was in first grade. We moved about 45 minutes away.

Meg's best friend moved shortly after we did. She moved about an hour and a half away. In the other direction.

She's still Meggie's best friend. Meg was a bridesmaid in her wedding next year.

It takes a good amount of work - and effort from the parents - but it most certainly can be done.

XO
My best friend lives in CAlifornia. We are in constant contact, and we see each other at least twice a year.

Popular Posts