Harvard Might Be Knockin', But Not the CIA

I work Mondays from 2:30-11 which is what made it especially difficult to figure out a way to get the dog out of the house when the realtor called to ask if they could show the house (the coveted SECOND showing) at 5:30. I called my neighbor, but she was going to be at soccer until after 6. I knew I couldn't get home and back to work without taking more than 2 hours off, 2 hours I just don't have right now.

I finally decided I would leave LM home when I went to work and his dad could pick him up when he got off work. LM could take the dog for a walk while the folks looked at the house.

Except that it started to rain.

I left for work at 1:30, with instructions for LM on leaving the house in perfect condition, taking his umbrella and the dog and sitting on our neighbor's patio while the folks viewed the house.

I called to check on LM at 4:45, to make sure he was getting ready for people to be in the house. I called again at 5, when LM informs me the dog just puked in front of the couch. Luckily, I have previously taken the time to instruct Jacob on how to use the steam cleaner, so he was able to wheel it out and quickly scour the area.

I called again at 5:15, LM reported he was out on the patio, but it was raining pretty hard. He thought he might go across to the building across the lot and stand under the recessed roof. I thought that would be just fine, he could clearly see when people showed up and when they left so he could go back in.

I called back at 5:30. LM had decided to take the puppers to his fort in the woods, and sit under a tree. I said, "NO!! Go back to where you can see the house! How will you know when they leave?" LM agreed to go back and stand across the street, out of the rain.

I called back at 5:45, LM was on the patio of our neighbor. He said it wasn't raining quite so hard any more. I asked if he had seen any realtors or people going in the house. He said no, and there weren't any unusual cars out front.

I called back just after 6, LM told me our neighbor had come home from soccer and he was sitting just inside her door with the dog. He saw someone pull into the lot and go into our house. I was greatly relieved that he was inside out of the rain and that the people were finally here. I told him to call me back when they left.

I called LM's dad and told him to call LM on his cell phone when he came to pick him up, as he might not be in our house, but might be at the neighbor's. No problemo.

I called back at 6:35, LM's dad had arrived and they were now all sitting in his car (even Eli) waiting for people to come out of the house. I thanked LM's dad for his patience with this process (the poor man who doesn't even want his son to move) and said to call when the folks left.

At 7:00, there was still no call. I called to verify that the folks were still in the house. LM's dad tried to be optimistic, "maybe they are just working up their offer". I said I hoped so, but it seemed like a long time they had been in, it's not like we have a big house.

I called back at 7:20, still no sight of any people. At this point, I'm really feeling horrible that my ex husband is sitting outside my home while I'm two towns away at work, watching to see if buyers come out of my house so they can put the dog back in the house and they can finally go get some dinner.

I called at 7:40. Still no sight of people. I said, "this is absurd!" I asked LM if he was sure he saw people go inside. He said, "Yes! And their car is still sitting in the lot!" I said, you mean two cars, the realtor wouldn't have arrive with the people in the same car. LM said, "No, they came in a green Jeep Liberty." I said, "Put your dad on the phone."

"They aren't in the house," I said to my ex. "What? LM saw them go in." "No, my neighbor's son drives a green Jeep Liberty. The realtor has long since been there and gone, I suspect." I suggested they go up to the door and see if it was locked. If it was open, the realtor and buyers were still inside. If it's locked, they've come and gone.

LM went up to the door.

It was locked.


At some point in the last TWO AND A HALF HOURS the nice buyers had come and gone and LM HAD TOTALLY MISSED IT.

Thank God my ex is a kind man and doesn't own a gun.


(Good news? There's an offer on the table today. Not one I particularly love, but there's an offer!)

Comments

Mig said…
An OFFER?!? How exciting! Although that totally sucks that everyone was waiting on ... nothing.

I hope it all works out for you.
Anonymous said…
An offer!!! WHEEEEE!
jenny said…
Too bad our boys are a year apart in age...otherwise I would think they were seperated at birth.

Sending house selling thoughts your way!


Though I am still laughing at your story. :)

Popular Posts