The Gift

It's difficult, when it's just the two of us, to help LM buy gifts for me. We've tried a lot of different options, from asking a sales person to help him shop and to let me know when they are ready so I can just pay the bill (the result: a $93 bill in a candle store- the clerk didn't think that was at all outrageous for an 8 year old to spend on his mom...); I've given LM money and waited in the parking lot of a Hallmark store while he shopped (better results, but unchaperoned gifts can be, well, interesting...).

LM returned home from his six week stay at grandparents with boxes and bags and duffles packed with odds and ends and what's-its. But in and amongst everything was a little red box. Upon seeing it, he quickly seized it and set it on top of his bookshelves proclaiming it as "off limits!" to me. "It's your birthday present," he explained.

I'll admit, I was tickled. He had bought something without me even knowing about it. With money he had earned working for his grandpa ($1/hr to answer phones and help with mailings!) I was really touched.

And so the red box has sat, untouched by me, until last night, when LM asked for wrapping paper and spent several minutes in his room making it "just perfect". And then the gift was hidden away and I was given strict instructions to make sure I woke him this morning before I left for work so he could give me my gift.

Because today, my birthday, I was to be at work from 7:30am until 11pm. LM would be going to his dad's mid-day, so we would only see each other for a few brief moments in the early morning hours before I headed off for my long day.

And so, at 6:30 this morning, I woke LM as I was ready to head out the door. He had slept on my floor again last night, tickled by the idea of "camping out in Mom's room" once again - a rare treat - He rolled over and fumbled around with his blankets and pillow and I said, "don't go back to sleep - you wanted me to open my gift, remember?"

"I know, I'm getting it for you."

And he reached under his pillow and pulled out my beautifully hand-wrapped gift with a handmade bow that was just a little bit smushed from being slept on. A precious birthday gift that had spent the night under his pillow awaiting my birthday.

While I love the onyx cross necklace that he picked out just for me, I hope I never forget this morning and the precious moments we spent with a pillow-smooshed present and all the love that came out of it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have quite the child there!

Happy Birthday!
~**Dawn**~ said…
That is absolutely precious. What a sweet guy you have. =)

Hope you have a wonderful birthday.
Clearlykels said…
Nothing better! Great story!

Happy Birthday!!!!!
Anonymous said…
That boy is a gem. Happy, happy birthday!
Jennifer said…
What an awesome memory :) I hope, like the rest of the pack, that you have a marvelous birthday...even at work! May you not have any boobs to touch or ticks to cover for the entire day!!!
Sarah Louise said…
Happy Birthday--what a sweet boy...the smooshed part is almost the best part...
Lisa said…
How incredibly sweet! Happy Birthday!
Jen said…
I love your mom stories. They always make me appreciate my own little men a little more.
Unknown said…
happy belated birthday!

and how incredibly sweet.
Hillary said…
What a sweetie! Aw, I can't wait to have memories like that with my own kids one day.

Happy (very) belated birthday! I was going to say I hope it was happy, but it sounds like it was, indeed! :)
Bearca said…
That is so sweet and so touching. Gosh, it's a blessing having kids!

Popular Posts