LM's Solution

I rearrange often. I always have. And it's frankly just better if everyone just stays out of the way until I'm done. It might take me hours to get it all just how I want it. And even when you think I couldn't possibly move one more thing, I'll still futz around with this knick knack there or that plant here. It takes awhile for me to get just the right balance of things.

It had been awhile since I had rearranged. Mainly because we the television we bought a couple years ago is just a tad too beastly for me to handle on my own. A few months ago, however, I got the itch and LM and I set to task to get everything moved.

Knowing that my strengths flow along the creative design and NOT the technological, I asked my techno-geek child if he thought he could handle all the cords and plugs and making sure that they were all in the right place after I moved things. Not only was he confident, he was enthusiastic about his role in the operation. He would handle all technology functions. I would handle the rest.

It took him a long while, that day in December, to get it all back the way it should be. It wasn't until several days later, when I watched a movie, that I realized it still wasn't quite right. I just didn't think Jodie Foster should be a pale shade of blue. I'm certain she has better skin tone than that. I was able to find the cable that wasn't in the right place and remedy the color issue without much issue.

So, this weekend, when we acquired a new armoire (courtesy of craigslist.com), I had serious talks with my Technology Consultant before we even began to attempt to relocate all the equipment once again. LM assured me he had it under control. There would be no color-errors this time around, he promised. Jodie Foster's complexion was going to be just fine. His confident tone exceeded my own, but I left it in his hands.


As I puttered around with this and that I quickly realized that LM had in fact devised an infallible system. Not to make the same mistake twice, he utilized the equipment at hand to ensure his success.

His answer? Take digital pictures.

(Don't you love how the picture is on an angle?
Apparantly that doesn't hinder the method from working.)

I only missed 40 laps of the Nascar race while we moved equipment and got it all settled into the new armoire. We finished putzing around with the knick knacks last night and have reached a mostly finished arrangement. All devices, speakers and remotes seem to be working in fine condition, thanks to LM's genius plan.

Isn't it purty?

Ta Da!

(Don't mind the leaves on the floor. The ivy isn't mad that I relocated it at all. I promise. No plants were harmed in the rearranging of this room!)

Comments

~**Dawn**~ said…
that is absolutely *genius*!! i am so going to have to remember that trick!
Jen said…
Great idea, LM.

Amy, your plants are beautiful. I am jealous. I can't keep a plant alive in my house. :)
Jules said…
Would you look at all that green?!? That is stunning. Also, with the doors closed, I would never have guessed that seemingly small armoire could house such a HUGE tv! Awesome!
Katrina said…
Very smart, LM! And the armoire is lovely. And your whole home just makes me want to sit cross legged on the floor and be quiet and serene--it's so pretty!
Jennifer said…
So, I guess I'll be the one to ask....are those plants real or silk?

Every time I've spent any money on green plants, it's been a waste because they promptly die as soon as I get them inside of the house. Your home is beautiful - I can't wait until the day that I can have knick knacks to rearrange and futz over :) For now, we have to stay child-proofed!
Amy said…
The plants are all real. You will never catch a silk one in my home! I have, perhaps 40 of them total. I love them.

And I have always had plants and knick knacks. Even when LM was small. He was taught early on what things are precious to his mother and what things are destructible!!
jenny said…
I have to say...I'm impressed with the foliage. You have your own oxygen chamber going on over there. But infinitely more impressive is LM's idea. Very, very cool.
Jennifer said…
I would say that I could have (and did) have knick knacks around with my other 2 kiddos. But, with Ian in rare form these days, it's just less stressful on me to keep things put up & put away. I'm hoping to start decorating the house a bit (we're renting indefinitely) though, so maybe I'll add something here & there as money allows :)

I'm very impressed with your green thumb!!! My is about as brown as they come...Even our landscaping looks awful!
Anonymous said…
Why do you need an amoire in a jungle? LOL I'm not sure you have enough plants! Guess who? Hey, I love the amoire, please get out the masking tape and put my name on the back before GJ sees it! Love ya! Jules

Popular Posts