The Forgiveness Factor

For awhile now, we have allowed LM to stay at home by himself on a school holiday. It has allowed me to actually use my meager vacation days as actual vacation days instead of Martin Luther King, Jr. day or a Day-Off-Because-The-Teachers-Need-It day. I give him a short list of things to get done, he still has to practice his trumpet but then he usually fills the day with watching movies from the DVR or playing computer or PS2 games. He's done very well with this over the past year and actually looks forward to a day off now with no anxiety at all about being on his own for the day.

Today, in addition to being a school holiday, we have the extra bonus of being a class night, meaning I leave straight from work to go to class and won't get home until nearly 10pm.

I would never dream of leaving LM from 7am until 10pm by himself and I know that isn't what will happen today as my brother will be arriving home sometime around 5, when I would normally be home from work.

The trouble is, LM doesn't know anything about G's arrival.

As I'm hurrying around last night trying to unload groceries and clean out the dog crate (for the second time in the same day - anyone want a dog?) LM mentions says, "I'll be just fine tomorrow, Mom. I just get a little nervous when it gets dark, but I'll be okay," and I realize that he thinks he's on his own for the whole time.

Oh Horrible Mom of the Year Award, here I come.

I don't know what to say without ruining the surprise. I tell him I'll try to leave class early. He assures me he'll be just fine. He'll turn on lights, and shut the blinds. I remind him to keep the door locked and to take the dog outside before it gets dark and then to just wait until I get home and I'll take him out again. I remind him that he has about 5 weeks of Survivor episodes to catch up on, and perhaps if he just curls up on the couch with his blankets and pillows and Eli at his feet and just watches those once it gets dark he won't even realize how fast I'll be home!

He's fine. He promises me. I reassure him that I wouldn't do this if I didn't know for certain that it will be just fine. He says he knows and tries to reassure me that he'll get through it just fine.

I know that when he sees my brother at the door tonight (if I can get him to actually open the door - he knows not to when I'm not home. Mental note: Tell G the password!) he will be beside himself with excitement. He has no idea that G is coming and will be over the moon to see him.

I just hope he forgives me for causing these butterflies in his stomach today.

Comments

Mig said…
Oh what a nice surprise for LM and for you!!!!

YAY!!!

P.S. Make that TWO dogs that need a home. Heh.

Popular Posts