Sucker

And so this is how it happens. Word gets out that you played fantasy football, and then somehow the wrong people find out that you won your league even though you kept really quiet about it (really) and when asked you attributed it to the biggest fluke in history, and the next thing you know, you're being pressured to join the fantasy baseball league they are putting together at church. Initially, they sell it as being easy and not time-consuming, and no, you don't have to actually WATCH a lot of baseball (cause I don't anymore) and blah, blah, blah, and you actually convince yourself that maybe this is a good way to meet more people, and hey, they do have a get together for the draft, don't they? And then your mind wanders further and you figure that the league will be mostly men, right? So here's a simple way to meet a dozen men you didn't know before, how bad can that be? And next thing you know, you're nodding and saying, "Oh sure, I'll give it a try" and then they hand you a MAGAZINE and tell you it will be helpful to read up and study a bit before the draft, and oh, have you met the other league members? Let me introduce you to a few.... (as you take note they are all married)....and you slowly realize the only interaction you'll have with fellow league members is via the computer and not really getting to know anyone at all...

UM, YEAH. So, about that baseball thing....

Note: I don't think it's time to panic just yet. If there was money involved or if this were say, a HOCKEY league (heaven forbid!) then you would have cause to worry. Immediate action would be required to transport me to the nearest psych ward and admitted without the option of release. Until then, don't panic. Or just panic a little maybe. Yes, definitely panic a little. This is me. Eliza Jane. And we are talking baseball.

Comments

Mig said…
In the begining I was thinking what a great way to meet men and where you are good at the fantasy stuff, it would be great but then I read the end and thought ...

Damn, now you know.
Jules said…
I just like watching the BF do things like that. I'm far too scattered to keep up with sports players.

You could just not participate, couldn't you?
Anonymous said…
Ahem. What was that about hockey? ;)
Katrina said…
Yeah, I can't watch baseball. It's in the same category as golf--sports that might be fun to play sometime, but don't stir my blood to watch.

Hockey, though--I love it!

(And congrats on winning your FF league! Rad! When I won mine, I eschewed a trophy in favor of a little football charm for my Italian charm bracelet...lol!)

Popular Posts