Mondays

Mondays seem to get a bad rep anymore. LM never seems happy to know it's Monday. I dread Mondays mainly because it means I'm back to my ever-so-boring job. However, Mondays are the only day of the week, every week, that I have with LM without any other obligations. Tuesdays are Dad nights, immediately after school; Wednesdays we rush off to church and don't return home until after 9; Thursdays we have dinner together, but it's rushed because his dad picks him up at 6:30; and every other Friday he's off to his dad's for the weekend. Mondays, in my house, are sacred.

Yesterday, due to a school delay (which means I can head in to work early since I don't have to get the neighbor girl to the bus), I was able to get home earlier than normal. I grabbed LM right off the bus and off we went to B&N. I've been waiting for a certain book to be available (see the post below) at the library, but I think it will be checked out perpetually right now, so we decided to just go buy a copy. We even had a coupon. B&N is one of our favorite places to be. We did show remarkable restraint, although LM wasn't too happy about it. He wanted three new Star Wars novels, but since he still has more than 5 new books on his shelf from Christmas, I refused to buy any more new books until those are read. I know, mean mother. I did pick up a couple books that I've been wanting to read that have not been available at my library, but I did not buy each and every book I lusted after.

Monday nights are also KICK'N (Kid in Charge of the Kitchen Night) when LM is supposed to cook. We decided since we were out and about, to check out the new "Fresh Market" that is located near the B&N store. IT WAS GORGEOUS. Oh, to be rich and shop for groceries in such an environment every day! They had great music playing and a wonderful store layout, and while everything was remarkably overpriced, you felt so pampered that it seemed worth the indulgence. We decided to give LM the night off from head chef duties and bought a pork roast (already marinated and cooked), some salad fixings , some fresh fruit and at LM's request, a jug of apple cider. I splurged and bought myself some fresh flowers, an indulgence I haven't had in nearly a year.

LM did his homework during the ride home and then quickly took the dog out while I put dinner together. I lit a couple candles, put the flowers in a vase and poured milk into the wine goblets. We enjoyed an incredible meal together, complete with all the luxuries.

Star gazer lillies, some of my favorite flowers. (The cats are probably eating them today.)

Candlelight dinner for two. (I just turned the light on to take the picture.)

There was an after-dinner book reading of "Bridge to Terabithia".
It was a BYOB/pajama event (Bring Your Own Blanket).

LM indulged in some gummies.

We finished the book in one sitting, LM had already heard from classmates what happens, so he wasn't too upset or surprised. He completely agreed that "Bridge" will be our Saturday night movie night choice this weekend. We both headed to bed with warm hearts, warm toes and with the gentle mellow feeling of being loved.


Comments

Jennifer said…
I wish for a Monday night like your's!!!
Anonymous said…
I need a market like that. . how totally cool! Lord knows that will never arrive here in the midwest in my lifetime! Jules
Anonymous said…
what a sweet and meaningful evening with your little man. brings me back to my memories as a kid with my mother. we used to do the same things but, every day was a monday morning with me. needless to say, i'm not a morning person!
Katrina said…
How sweet! (And if I've never told you, your home is beautiful!)

Popular Posts