The Queen's English

When I moved to the East Coast nearly 9 years ago, I was astounded by how frequently people stopped to ask me where I was from. People all around me noticed immediately from my speech that I wasn't 'from here'. Having been raised in northern Illionis, it had never crossed my mind that I had an accent. Where I live in Pennsylvania, we are situated south of the New England/Boston/New York accents, west of the Jersey accent and north of anything southern. I had not recognized there was a uniqueness to this area as well.

Sometimes it wasn't an accent per se that gave me away, it was my choice of words. Over the years, I've learned to say 'pocketbook' instead of 'purse', sometimes I even say 'carriage' for a stroller. No one here goes to the 'beach', they all go to the 'shore'. If I listen closely, I notice a difference in the way people say 'water' here, it sounds more like 'wudder', but in general, I've learned to tame my Chicago 'A' sound and have changed the way I say 'pajamas', 'radiator' and sometimes even 'aunt' depending on whom I'm speaking to.

Having just watched an interview with a Brit named Bear Grylls (from Discovery's 'Man v. Wild') and I have to say, if I could choose how to speak, I would speak like he does. There is something so incredibly proper and sophisticated and intelligent in the way a Brit speaks (in my mind). Perhaps it would lose it's appeal if I lived there and I understood the slang and noticed the dropped syllables and the mispronunciations, but it seems as if the language is cleaner, and more correct than ours is anymore. Even their idioms seem more entertaining and creative. Their word choices seem to elevate a conversation to a more sophisticated level.

I am sure to some, the English accent and even the East Coast accent sound snobbish (I hear you nodding, Bear and Jules). And I am certain my Dad and Judy would have much to say about learning the southern speak after they moved to Tennessee a number of years ago. My brother, G, switches between a southern drawl and his Illinois upbringing anytime you talk with him.

All I can say is, if Hallmark would make a talking card with a British Accent, it would be the best Valentine card ever.

Comments

Jennifer said…
You're so right! I love to listen to British people speak - thinking Hugh Grant while I type :) I am from Texas and have lived here my entire life, but when I run across strangers that don't 'know' me or my past, they often ask where I'm from, as if to insinuate that I sound out of place here in Houston. I sort of think that it's cool!
Sarah Louise said…
Hugh Grant...sigh. Four Weddings and a Funeral was on TV this afternoon. Love the accents...
jenny said…
Well 'ello there Amy. Bloody cold out there today, innit?
Jules said…
I love Brit-speak, too. I've had to carefully work on my language skills my whole life. It seems that I've just genetically inherited the horrid southern drawl, so I have to try REALLY hard to speak, you know, neatly and properly and not-at-all southern-like. Heehee.
Anonymous said…
Yep, we're nodding!!!! Those of us in the midwest don't have much of an accent. . LOL!!!
SlushTurtle said…
I love Bear Grylls! And yes, their English does sound better. Perhaps we should start a movement to bring back the British accent here in the colonies...
Katrina said…
If I could pick an accent, it would be Scottish. It's not neccessarily the most easily understood, but I love it, love it, love it!
Anonymous said…
i love accents and think it's sad when someone who's moved to a new place loses all of theirs. having moved to this area over a dozen yrs ago, and from not too far away, i never thought i had much of an accent. but i hear different words and ways of speech and it's only the burbs vs the city. but i pick up accents pretty easily, i can turn on a london accent fairly easily which seems to amuse my dh and my friends.
i do love a good english accent, i prefer northern to southern england, scots to irish, and i love a welsh or birmingham (uk) voice. makes me go all a quiver! ;)

Popular Posts