Dear Dad (and Mom):

I need to apologize. Remember all those times when I was a kid and you told me to do something a hundred times and I didn't do it? Remember when you paid for piano lessons and for my flute and even later for my oboe, and you insisted that I practice, but I didn't, or I said I did, but I really didn't? Remember when you told me to plan ahead with my homework so I wouldn't have it all to do in one night? Remember when we stayed up late the night before that big math project was due so I could get it done because I hadn't planned ahead? Remember when you told me to double check my work to make sure I turned in my best but I rushed through it and turned it in incomplete anyway? Remember when you took me to some cool event (no, not the Captain and Tennille concert) and I moaned and groaned about how miserable it was going to be, and even during the event I was completely uninvolved and distracted but afterwards I spoke like it was the most amazing thing I'd ever done? Remember how it took teamwork between the both of you not to kill me before we got home? Remember when you wanted to take me out to do something nice for me as a surprise but I spent the whole time complaining about some silly little issue that you turned the car around and went home instead? Remember how I thought you were always wrong and I was always right? Remember how I resented how you pushed me to do and to be my best even though it helped me to get an academic scholarship and then a 4.0 in my major? Remember all those times I just drove you batty as a child? I AM SO SORRY!!!!

All I can say is, paybacks are hell.

Love,

Eliza Jane

Comments

jenny said…
i don't want to laugh, but I can't help it.

and i've just been given a glimpse into my future.


oy.
Anonymous said…
i'm with jenny, the future looks kinda bleak due to the awesome fact, i wasn't the sweetest daughter.
Jules said…
You really should let LM read this. He seems like a mature kid, and even though I know "kids will be kids" and he's bound to do some of these frustrating things over and over, I think that if he read this he'd be a little more aware of it...maybe. :)

I feel the same way, I apologize practically every time I call my mom, lol!
Anonymous said…
my mom used to tell me "just wait, you'll get a one just like you". and she was right. i did. i still shake my head and lol, cos i know my mom would be smirking!
and GOOD LUCK! :)
Sarah Louise said…
Still childless, I live in the fantasy world that my child will graduate from Harvard at age six and never do any of the rebellious things I did as a teen...

hahahaha!! (No, seriously, I'm sure my kids will have tons of issues...)

Oh, and I disagree--I don't think LM would benefit from this until he is a parent or has friends who are.
Katrina said…
Haha! I think I might be overdue to write my parents an apology letter, as well. Maybe I'll just copy and paste yours...LOL!

Great post!

Popular Posts