If Only It Were True - Levy

I picked up this book at a library book sale and had no idea what it was about (I tend to do that, I think the summary on the jacket always gives too much away so I don't read it.) "If Only It Were True" is Marc Levy's first novel and it reads like one. It's simple, it's a bit rough on the edges and the plot isn't catchy or dramatic. I would be impressed if someone told me they wrote this for NaNoWriMo, but not as a published novel (touted as an "instant bestseller in France!")

The story is about a woman who is left in a coma after a car accident. Through the magic of the imagination, her spirit is able to leave her body and travel invisibly, eavesdropping and invading the lives of anyone she chooses. No one is able to see this spirit except for the man who lives in what used to be her apartment. No reason is given for this unique ability, other than the fact that he's handsome and single and she's a looker despite being in a coma. The two embark on an uneducated, and eventually unrealistic (if you have already gotten past the idea of the ghost to begin with) journey to keep her coma-body alive and to get her spirt reunited with her physical being.

As I said, the plot isn't complicated, nor realistic. The dialogue and interactions between characters are simple, unpolished and curt. The book was a quick and easy read, taking me perhaps two hours. I am certain I will have forgotten (gladly) the context within the same time frame.

For a $.50 library sale book, I did not get my money's worth on this one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
this sounds like a movie i saw a few months ago, with reese witherspoon iirc.
shayze said…
I was thinking the same thing Elena Jane. Sounds just like the movie "Just Like Heaven".
Sarah Louise said…
I just read this!! And the copy I read was the movie cover version, with the title changed to...Just like Heaven.

The movie is SO MUCH BETTER.

I mean, what American says, "I'm on a fools errand?"

I find it hard to believe it was translated into 30 languages, but hey...whatever.
Jules said…
Ugh. I am SO glad I have you to read! This is definitely one I DON'T want to read. Even if it did only take two hours...still. I hope you were able to pick up some good ones. I have one I could send you that I thought was pretty good, if you want.
Anonymous said…
I am french, and i'm studying english at university in Rennes, FRANCE. Please i really need some help! May you help? I'm working on that book "if only it were true" for a language analysis, and i'd like to check if my translation of a sentence of the book is correct...Would you please help me? Maybe you can contact me on my email: louloute61@hotmail.com Thank you so much
louise

Popular Posts