Atonement - McEwan

A novel that takes a long-winded circuitious route to its title. The story of a family divided by a lie told by one as a child that had implications to last a lifetime. A novel about a novelist, using writing as her voice, even if it can never be published.

I wasn't impressed with this novel. The characters didn't move me, the plot was tediously slow, the setting in England, pre- and post-war. McEwan has a story to unfold, this is certain, the the lengths he goes to, the details and journeys he takes us on seem so tangental to the point that I felt a loss of connection. I stuck it out only to see it through, but not for a sense of urgency to turn the page.

It also seems to me that stories of betrayal are limited in scope. Either, the betrayer comes forward (or is brought forward) and repents, is forgiven and life moves on; or, the betrayer dies with the secret, their penance being the burden of guilt. This novel takes the turn of repentance, but forgiveness cannot change the burden of the effects. The crime will ripple through their lives with or without repentance, and so it bears no weight when the betrayal is acknowledged. It feels empty and I wonder why all these pages should lead to an event so unremarkable.

Perhaps it is so that we realize the cross to bear is our own, whatever our sin. Forgiveness is an internal matter as much as an external one. Decisions, made in youth or in maturity can change our lives and those around us forever.

I wouldn't recommend the novel, but for a $.50 library sale book, I'd say I got my money's worth.

Comments

Jules said…
I am thouroughly enjoying your book reviews. I feel like I'm almost getting that "osmosis effect" from reading your posts...thereby nearly doubling what I've "read", so to speak. Heehee. I love it!
Katrina said…
Great thoughts on forgiveness. It can remove guilt, but not always consequences. The one who is most truly released by it is the forgiver.

Like Jules, I am also enjoying your book reviews. Write on, Amy!

Popular Posts