The Interview

Phone interview with a company in Michigan today at 1:30. Previous phone interviews have all occurred in my vehicle, down the road from my office to preserve any and all precious vacation hours (in case I might get an interview). Last night, I lay in bed wondering how I was going to conduct a phone interview in my vehicle when it is RAINING. Listened to the radio weather report this morning, “Cloudy today. Cloudy tomorrow.” If it is currently PRECIPITATING, shouldn’t that be mentioned? How long will it last? Will it be heavy or just sprinkles? Will the employer actually be able to hear me over the sound of beating rain on a windshield? Turned on the television for local weather report. Had to wait 20 minutes before I finally set my eyes on a Doppler radar screen showing me green masses (rain) moving out of the area with only smaller patches of green (showers) left behind. The hour by hour forecast shows partly cloudy skies by noon. WHEW.

At 1:10, print copy of my resume, cover letter and job description for this position. 1:15, pee. 1:20 tell my supervisor I’m headed out to “run an errand and pick up lunch” (I even throw in a “do you want anything while I’m out?” just to throw her off.) 1:22 get in my car. Realize the clock on my computer at work is FAST and it’s only 1:10. Drive 100 yards down the road, turn into familiar parking lot, park in a different spot (last phone interview did lead to a personal interview, but not to a job offer.) 1:13 say silent prayer thanking God that it’s not raining (even though the sky looks ominous). 1:15 rain starts. 1:15:30 Curse. 1:17 wind picks up 1:19 decide to relocate car back to original spot which has a trailer in the spot next to it. (Perhaps the trailer will block the wind and the rain.) Park. 1:24 call my sister. “Can you hear the rain?” “It sounds like muffled static. Don’t worry about it.” 1:25 worry about it. 1:26 torrential pouring and high winds rocking the car despite trailer buffer. 1:27 look heavenward with an imploring look. 1:29 rain stops, wind dies down. 1:31 phone rings.

2:10 the suggestion is made that she might like to have me come into town for an interview. She’ll call me around the 1st of November with details.

2:15 high-tail it back to the office where my supervisor says, “that took awhile.” “I ran into someone I haven’t seen in a long time!” I say with surprising conviction.

2:20 shoot an email off to my sister and folks saying all went well.

2:25 exhale.

Comments

shayze said…
I'm glad the rain held off for you! Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get the job!
Jules said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jules said…
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, too! Good luck.
Anonymous said…
*crossing my fingers*

And hoping you don't have to send the open letter I posted today :)
Peter N said…
1:30..should have taken a breath!
Great stuff, and have a wonderful weekend. You made me smile.....

Popular Posts