Oh Pot? This is Kettle Speaking, I'd Like a Word?

I have no instruction manual and I have no clear plan for the forage through the next few years of parenting, however, tonight I did have a slight moment when we witnessed a brief but perhaps effective teaching moment.  

Tonight, LM tried to help an attention-deficient first grader with his homework.  And I heard him say, "G?  Focus!!!  We need to get this done!"

And when I called them out to dinner, I asked how it was going and LM said, "It would be going just fine if G would focus and work on it!" with complete exasperation.  And I paused long enough for LM to notice, and I stood with a Cheshire Grin on my face and I said, "I'm sorry, Pot.  Perhaps you have not yet been introduced.  This here is Kettle."

LM was not at all amused with me, but when we spoke about it later in private, and I pointed out how badly he had wanted G to just finish up his word list so they could go back to playing PS2, he said he could sort of see how frustrating it was for me.

Sort of.

Hey, I'll take a 'sort of'.  Especially from a very black pot indeed.

Comments

Popular Posts